Calculating Pond Evaporation: Is Floating Glass a Good Idea?

• Thread starter peter2108
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pond
In summary, the conversation discusses a potential leak in a fish pond and the difficulty of calculating water evaporation. The suggestion is made to measure the water level using a glass beside the pond, with the recommendation to partially submerge the glass to match the water temperature and wind conditions. The potential impact of water/swampy plants and a waterfall on evaporation is also mentioned, with the suggestion to conduct two test periods with and without the waterfall to determine any significant differences.
peter2108
I have a fish pond which may have a slight leak. Or not - maybe the water is just evaporating. Searching it seems there is not simple way to calculate how fast water will evaporate. So suppose I put a glass beside my pond and measure how far the level of water in the glass has fallen in - say - 24 hours. Say this is D mm. If it is only the surface area of the water that matters then presumably the pond should have fallen by D mm as well. Is this method likely to be successful?

@xts. Floating glass is a good idea - the po9nd is 3500 liters so its temperatuerew would vary much less than a glass, but floating glass should solve that. Will have to be tethered as there is a waterfall.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It should work. But I would recommend to put the glass partially sunk in your pond, to keep it in the same temperatura as a pond water has and in the same wind conditions.

ADDED>>>
If you have any water/swampy plants (e.g.canes) they may evapourate more water than pond surface. That may be really difficult to include in the analysis.

Last edited:
Assuming no leaks, a waterfall can be a noticeable contributor to evaporation I've found especially if it's wide enough and direct sunlight hits it. My brother's waterfall was made of 5 paving type slabs arranged in stairstep fashion and had direct sunlight on it.When I turned it off the water level reduced over time much more slowly...it was thoroughly checked for leaks and found to be ok beforehand. You could do two test periods , one with the waterfall on and another with it off and see if there is a significant difference but be mindful of humidity and rainfall variations over the test period.

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Pond Evaporation: Is Floating Glass a Good Idea?

1. How does floating glass help with pond evaporation?

Floating glass can help reduce pond evaporation by creating a barrier between the water and the air. This barrier reduces the amount of direct sunlight hitting the water, which can help slow down the rate of evaporation.

2. How do you calculate pond evaporation?

Pond evaporation can be calculated by using the water surface area, air temperature, humidity, and wind speed. There are also online calculators available that can help with this calculation.

3. Is floating glass an effective method for reducing pond evaporation?

Yes, floating glass can be an effective method for reducing pond evaporation. However, its effectiveness may vary depending on the climate and other factors such as the size and depth of the pond.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using floating glass for pond evaporation?

One potential drawback of using floating glass is that it can reduce the amount of oxygen and sunlight reaching the pond, which can be harmful for aquatic plants and animals. It is important to monitor the pond's oxygen levels and adjust the amount of floating glass accordingly.

5. Can floating glass be used in all types of ponds?

Floating glass can be used in most types of ponds, including natural and man-made ponds. However, it may not be suitable for ponds with a lot of water movement or for ponds that are used for swimming or other recreational activities.