Calculating power absorbed in transmission lines

In summary, the power absorbed from the supply by the transmission line on open circuit is 77325 + j3149V = 126875V.
Help_required

Homework Statement

Calculate the power (Pso) absorbed from the supply by the transmission line on open circuit.

Given parameters are:

A1= 0.8698
A2= 0.03542
B1= 47.94Ω
B2= 180.8Ω
C1= 0S
C2= 0.001349S
D1= 0.8698
D2= 0.03542

I have calculated Vs and Is earlier in the question

Vs= 77325 + j3149V
Is= j119.93A

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start with this one to be honest and haven't got any real direction from my course notes. Can i use equation P=I^2*R? I suspect it's more complicated than that!

Attachments

• transmission lines.docx
    248.8 KB · Views: 355
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, you clearly have not given enough here to solve the problem. What do these constants A1 etc. refer to? They don't appear on your diagram.

A transmission line can act like a big antenna. That means it has inductance and capacitance. And it can radiate power, and have current flowing even though there is no completed circuit. If you have not covered these things in class, and your text does not describe how to deal with it, you need to go to your instructor and get help.

There should be a formula that tells you how to calculate this. It will include such things as the frequency of the applied voltage.

Thanks DEvans,

Sorry, i should have included this information on the original post.

I have been given the open-circuit received voltage of 88.9kV and the only formulas i have for this question are:

Vs= Vr (A1+jA2) + Ir (B1+jB2)
Is= Vr (C1 + jC2) +Ir (D1 + jD2)

'S' and 'R' are for sending end and receiving end. These are what i used to calculate Vs and Is earlier in the question, although i used zero as 'Ir' due to it being open circuit (thinking no current could flow) but from what you've said above i may need to look at those answers again.

With regards A1 etc. i have no further information, this is all that is given on the assignment. Looks like i'll have to contact the tutor for this module.

I believe this problem has appeared earlier on PF homework help.

@DEvens, these are the ABCD 2-port parameters for the xmsn line.

If the OP got the right Vs and Is (post 1) then computing the power is straightforward.

Related to Calculating power absorbed in transmission lines

What is the formula for calculating power absorbed in transmission lines?

The formula for calculating power absorbed in transmission lines is P = I^2 * R, where P is the power absorbed, I is the current flowing through the line, and R is the resistance of the line.

What units are used to express power absorbed in transmission lines?

The units used to express power absorbed in transmission lines are watts (W) or kilowatts (kW).

How do you calculate the current flowing through a transmission line?

To calculate the current flowing through a transmission line, you can use the formula I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage across the line, and R is the resistance of the line.

What factors affect the power absorbed in transmission lines?

The power absorbed in transmission lines can be affected by factors such as the length and gauge of the line, the type of material used for the line, and the temperature and weather conditions.

Why is it important to calculate the power absorbed in transmission lines?

Calculating the power absorbed in transmission lines is important in order to ensure that the line is able to handle the amount of power being transmitted and to prevent overloading or damage to the line. It also helps in determining the efficiency of the transmission system.