Calculating Power Required for a Tank to Travel Uphill on an Incline

In summary, the problem involves a tank of mass 80 metric tons traveling at a uniform speed of 54Km/hr on a level terrain and then traveling uphill on an incline of 1 in 10. The task is to calculate the extra power required from the engine in megawatts to maintain the same speed on the incline. The solution involves calculating the potential and kinetic energy equations, as well as using the rate at which height is gained to determine the additional power needed to go uphill against gravity. The distance traveled uphill is not necessary, as the rate of change of height can be used.
Jonno

Homework Statement

A Tank of mass 80 metric tons is travvelling at a uniform speed of 54Km/hr on a level terrian. It then starts traveling uphill on an incline of 1 in 10 (sine slope). Claculate the extra power required from the engine in megawatts to maintain the smae speed on the incline.

m = 80,000 kg
v = 15 m/s

Homework Equations

Kinetic Energy = [tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2 [/tex]

Potential Energy = [tex] mgh [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

You see, this is my problem. I'm at a loss on how to start I think I might be reading into this to0 much.

Is the extra power in MW required impossible to work out unless a distance traveled uphill is given in which case the following would be used:

Work = [tex] Fs\cos \phi [/tex]

In which case how can I work the Force propelling hte tank in a horizontal direction?

The next part of the question is When it has traveled 100m up the incline the driver stops and has a drinks and so on. . . . . . . (I'm happy with this section of the question). Is this just the authors question writing or am I just reading too much into the original problem?

Thanks in advance Jonno.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jonno said:
Is the extra power in MW required impossible to work out unless a distance traveled uphill is given...
You don't need the distance you need the rate at which height is gained, which you can figure out given the speed and the angle of the incline. All you need to figure is the additional power needed to go uphill (against gravity).

Thanks Doc Al,

I see where you're coming from.

So if the tank gains 1 metre in height for every 10m traveled in a second gains height at a rate of 1.5m/s

so using E = mgh I can work out the extra energy in joules and convert to Power (J/s) From then?

Thanks again.

if you substitute h [m] by hdot [m/s] (with the dot on top, meaning it's the time-derivative) then E also becomes a time derivative. That's what you want. E [J] becomes P [W] (J/s=W)
so hdot is 1.5 m/s yes yes!

Going back to [tex] Fs\cos\phi [/tex] - change s to v, and use sin for changing elevation, as opposed to cos for horizontal displacement.

Related to Calculating Power Required for a Tank to Travel Uphill on an Incline

1. What is the difference between work and energy?

Work is the transfer of energy that results in a change in the motion or position of an object. Energy, on the other hand, is the ability to do work or cause a change in an object's state. In other words, work requires energy to be done, and energy is the capacity to do work.

2. How is power related to work and energy?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is a measure of how quickly work is being done. Mathematically, power is equal to the amount of work done divided by the time it takes to do the work.

3. What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for work is W = Fd, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the displacement (or distance) over which the force is applied. Work is typically measured in joules (J).

4. How can we calculate the potential energy of an object?

The potential energy of an object is the energy it possesses due to its position or configuration. It can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where PE is potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above the ground. Potential energy is typically measured in joules (J).

5. Can work and energy be created or destroyed?

No, according to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. Therefore, the work done on an object is equal to the change in its energy.