Calculating Power & Temperature Loss from Cable

In summary: I'm sure somebody has already solved it in a more concise way than I could.In summary, the power and temperature lost from a cable can be calculated by using the Power = VI equation and the temperature loss is equal to I^2 x R. The power is transferred to the neighbouring material and will cause a temperature rise until it reaches some equilibrium with the excess heat flowing out into the enviroment.
HelpFinch
Hi guys,

I am trying to calculate the power and temperature lost from a cable. So I can do some crude thermodynamic calculations on heat transfer.

I am assuming in this case that the object next to the cable is touching, and I am trying to calculate how much power and temperature is transferred from the cable to the neighbouring material.

I have presently been calculating it with the Power = VI and the temperature loss is equal to I^2 x R.

I am not that great at the electronics but I think I am actually calculating just the power in the cable and I am being stupid in assuming this is the actual power transmitted to the surroundings I would just like some clarrification or correction if I am misleading myself.

Thanks for any help in advance,
Finch

Engineering news on Phys.org
HelpFinch said:
Hi guys,

I am trying to calculate the power and temperature lost from a cable. So I can do some crude thermodynamic calculations on heat transfer.

I am assuming in this case that the object next to the cable is touching, and I am trying to calculate how much power and temperature is transferred from the cable to the neighbouring material.

I have presently been calculating it with the Power = VI and the temperature loss is equal to I^2 x R.

I am not that great at the electronics but I think I am actually calculating just the power in the cable and I am being stupid in assuming this is the actual power transmitted to the surroundings I would just like some clarrification or correction if I am misleading myself.

Thanks for any help in advance,
Finch

Welcome to the PF.

The power converted to heat in the cable is P = VI = V^2/R = I^2 R

Where V is the end-to-end voltage drop across the cable, R is the resistance of the cable, and I is the current flowing through the cable. This power goes into heating the cable materials. That heat will cause a temperature rise in the cable, until it reaches some equilibrium with the excess heat flowing out into the enviroment.

AFAIK, there are no simple equations for calculating what temperature the cable rises to, given the external environment's characteristics. You can determine it experimentally, or you can use simulation software to calculate what it will probably be.

Do you have a particular application in mind? What kind of cable are you thinking of? Is the power transmission down the cable at DC or 50/60Hz AC, or some other frequency?

Thanks for answering Berkeman I appreciate it.

I intend on using transmforming the UK AC current and use a transformer to reduce the standard to a low voltage input most likely below 40. I believe in the UK it is 220V and 50Hz.

The desired output here is the temperature and the purpose is to find a material that gives out high temperature while being low cost (a balance will obviously met).

I only need to do some crude calculations to prove concepts so that experimental data can be made. Thus I hope I do not have to go through long differential equations in order to find accurate data!

Thanks and Regards,
Finch

If all you need is an average temp of the wire this technique will work.

This will not find the peak temp in the wire. For that you need differential equations and information you can probably only get experimentally so you might as well just run the experiment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_conductivity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_resistance_in_electronics

The trick is how you define the thermal resistance of the wire's insulation, assuming it has some, and the connection to ambient. Probably somebody already solved it for the geometry of a wire and some standard materials, with the assumption that the wire is suspended in air. I wouldn't be surprised to find out it was a typical physics homework question or something. Try googling with the keywords in the wikipedia article.

Related to Calculating Power & Temperature Loss from Cable

1. How do I calculate power loss from a cable?

To calculate power loss from a cable, you will need to know the cable's resistance, the current flowing through the cable, and the cable's length. You can then use the formula P = I^2 * R, where P is the power loss, I is the current, and R is the resistance.

2. What is the formula for calculating temperature loss from a cable?

The formula for calculating temperature loss from a cable is ΔT = (P * L) / (A * k), where ΔT is the temperature loss, P is the power loss, L is the cable's length, A is the cable's cross-sectional area, and k is the thermal conductivity of the cable's material.

3. How does cable length affect power and temperature loss?

As the cable length increases, the power and temperature loss also increase. This is because the longer the cable, the higher the resistance, resulting in more power loss. Additionally, a longer cable has a larger surface area, which increases the amount of heat dissipation and therefore increases temperature loss.

4. Can I use the same formula for calculating power and temperature loss for all types of cables?

No, the formula for calculating power and temperature loss may vary depending on the type of cable. Different cables have different resistances, cross-sectional areas, and thermal conductivities, so it is important to use the correct formula for each type of cable.

5. How do I choose the right cable to minimize power and temperature loss?

To minimize power and temperature loss, you should choose a cable with a lower resistance, larger cross-sectional area, and higher thermal conductivity. Additionally, using a shorter cable can also help reduce power and temperature loss. It is important to consider these factors when selecting a cable for your specific application.