Calculating pre-charge of capacitors on electric vehicle

In summary, the online calculator suggests that the controller will take about 2.3 seconds to charge the battery from 0-288 V when using a resistance of 531 ohms.
t00mas
Hello!

I found how to calculate here: http://liionbms.com/php/precharge.php
But the problem is, that when I used online calculator, it gives me that with resistance 531, my charging time to 288V will be about 2.3 seconds instead 5 seconds, that I need.
Online calculator here: http://mustcalculate.com/electronic...p?vfrom=0&vto=288&vs=320&c=1880u&r=531&time=5
We have:
  • Capacity that we need to charge in controller: C=1880uF or 0.00188F
  • Battery nominal voltage: U=320V
  • Time, that is needed to charge controller capacitors to 90% of the nominal battery voltage: t=5s
We need:
  1. 90% from 320V
  2. Needed resistance R in ohms
  3. Maximum current during precharge
  4. Energy E in joules
  5. Power P in watts
  6. Peak power PPeak in watts
1. U1=(320V/100)*90%=288 V
2. R=t/C/S=5s/0.00188/5=531 ohms
3. I=U/R=320/531=0.6 A
4. E=(C*V2)/2=(0.00188*2882)/2=78 Joules
5. P=E2/T=782/5=15,6 W
6. PPeak=U2/R=2882/531=156 W

Is everyithing correct? What is that 5 (S) in 2nd calculation?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The 531 ##\Omega## is not right.
Charging a capacitor over a resistance goes according to $$V_{\rm cap}(t) = V_{\rm batt}(1-e^{-{t\over RC}})$$ so of you want ##V_{\rm cap} = 0.9 \,V_{\rm batt} ## you need $$ 0.9 = (1-e^{-{t\over RC}})
\Leftrightarrow e^{-{t\over RC} }= 0.1 \Leftrightarrow -{t\over RC} = \ln 0.1\Leftrightarrow R = {-\ln 0.1 \over tC}$$
[edit] mistake (cut&paste while typesetting, see below -- well spotted)
$$ -{t\over RC} = \ln 0.1\Leftrightarrow R = {-t \over C \ln 0.1}$$For the peak power dissipated in the resistance you need ##V_{\rm batt}##, not the 288 V.

Last edited:
Likes t00mas
BvU said:
The 531 ##\Omega## is not right.
Charging a capacitor over a resistance goes according to $$V_{\rm cap}(t) = V_{\rm batt}(1-e^{-{t\over RC}})$$ so of you want ##V_{\rm cap} = 0.9 \,V_{\rm batt} ## you need $$ 0.9 = (1-e^{-{t\over RC}})
\Leftrightarrow e^{-{t\over RC} }= 0.1 \Leftrightarrow -{t\over RC} = \ln 0.1\Leftrightarrow R = {-\ln 0.1 \over tC}$$

For the peak power dissipated in the resistance you need ##V_{\rm batt}##, not the 288 V.
Hello!

Thank you for your fast reply!
I think there is a small mistake in your equation at the end, because R=-t/(C*ln0.1) or am I wrong?
R=-t/(C*ln0.1)=5/(0.00188*ln0.1)=1155 Ω
The graph is also now correct: http://mustcalculate.com/electronic...?vfrom=0&vto=288&vs=320&c=1880u&r=1155&time=5

4. E=(C*V2)/2=(0.00188*2882)/2=78 Joules - should I use here also battery back voltage?

The needed resistande for 5s charging time is 1155 Ω.

Thank you!

Related to Calculating pre-charge of capacitors on electric vehicle

1. How do you calculate the pre-charge of capacitors on an electric vehicle?

To calculate the pre-charge of capacitors on an electric vehicle, you will need to know the capacitance, voltage, and resistance of the circuit. The formula for pre-charge calculation is Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage. You can also use the formula Q = I x t, where I is the current and t is the time it takes to charge the capacitor.

2. Why is pre-charging necessary for capacitors on an electric vehicle?

Pre-charging is necessary for capacitors on an electric vehicle to prevent a sudden surge of current when the vehicle is turned on. This can help protect the capacitors and other components from damage due to high current flow. It also helps ensure a smooth and stable start for the vehicle.

3. How does the pre-charge process work?

The pre-charge process works by slowly charging the capacitors to their full capacity before the vehicle is turned on. This is usually done using a pre-charge resistor connected in series with the capacitors. The resistor limits the current flow and allows the capacitors to charge gradually.

4. What factors affect the pre-charge time of a capacitor?

The pre-charge time of a capacitor can be affected by various factors such as the capacitance, voltage, and resistance of the circuit, as well as the type and size of the pre-charge resistor. Other factors like temperature and the condition of the capacitors can also play a role in determining the pre-charge time.

5. How can pre-charge time be optimized for capacitors on an electric vehicle?

To optimize the pre-charge time for capacitors on an electric vehicle, you can use a pre-charge circuit with a smaller resistance value. This will allow the capacitors to charge more quickly. However, it is important to ensure that the pre-charge current is still within a safe range for the capacitors and other components in the circuit.