Calculating Pressure and Velocity in a Cylinder of Argon: Tips and Tricks

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the root mean square speed of argon atoms in a cylinder, as well as the determination of pressure using kinetic theory and the ideal-gas law. The (Vx)rms value is found to be 450 m/s, but the rate at which atoms collide with one end of the cylinder remains unclear. Further information or hints are requested for this part of the question.
dalson
Root Mean Square Speed... HELP!

A 11.0 cm-diameter, 24.0 cm-long cylinder contains 1.80×1022 atoms of argon at a temperature of 52.0 C. What is (Vx)rms, the rms value of the x-component of velocity? What is the rate at which atoms collide with one end of the cylinder? Determine the pressure in the cylinder using the results of kinetic theory. Determine the pressure in the cylinder using the ideal-gas law.

I have found Vrms, which is equal to 450 m/s. I do not know how to translate that into x component without knowing any of the other direction velocities.
Any help please?? I am so lost!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you, I've managed to figure out everything except the rate at which the atoms collide with one end of the cylinder. I thought it might have something to do with the (Vx)rms, but the numbers don't make any sense to me. Any hints on this part of the question?

Related to Calculating Pressure and Velocity in a Cylinder of Argon: Tips and Tricks

1. What is Root Mean Square (RMS) speed?

Root Mean Square (RMS) speed is the measure of the average speed of molecules in a gas. It is calculated by taking the square root of the mean of the squared speeds of all molecules in a gas sample.

2. How is RMS speed different from average speed?

RMS speed takes into account the velocities of all molecules in a gas sample, whereas average speed only considers the overall average of all the speeds. RMS speed is a more accurate representation of the speed at which molecules are moving in a gas.

3. What is the significance of RMS speed?

RMS speed is important in understanding the behavior and properties of gases. It is used to calculate other important parameters such as temperature and pressure, and can help in predicting the behavior of gases under different conditions.

4. How is RMS speed calculated?

RMS speed is calculated by taking the square root of the average of the squared velocities of all molecules in a gas sample. This can be represented by the equation: RMS speed = √[(v1² + v2² + ... + vn²) / n], where v represents the velocity of each molecule and n is the total number of molecules in the sample.

5. How does temperature affect RMS speed?

According to the Kinetic Theory of Gases, RMS speed is directly proportional to the square root of temperature. This means that as temperature increases, the average speed of molecules in a gas also increases, resulting in a higher RMS speed.