Calculating Pressure Difference in an Equilibrium Hydrostatics System

In summary, two cylinders of diameter D, containing incompressible gas of density rho, are connected via a tube of diameter d containing incompressible fluid of density rho m. The system is in equilibrium at pressure P atm. If different pressures P1 and P2 are applied to each cylinder, the fluid on the right side will rise by a height of Hm. The difference between P1 and P2 can be expressed as P1-P2 = rhom*gHm. However, since the green substance is also a liquid, there are no gases present in this system.
Lavabug

Homework Statement

See attached image. Two cylinders of the same diameter D contain the same incompressible (green) gas of density rho. Their bases are connected via a tube of diameter d containing an incompressible fluid of density rho m. The system is in equilibrium if the pressure on both cylinders is P atm.

If we supply different pressures P1 and P2 to each of the cylinders respectively, the fluid on the right hand side will rise by a height of Hm.

Express the difference P1 - P2 in terms of the given variables.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'd say P1 = P2 + rhom*gHm, so I'd just solve for P1-P2 and I'd have the answer, but something tells me I'm neglecting something. I neglected the contributions of the gas of density rho on both sides since I figure they would cancel out, am I doing this correctly?

Attachments

• m.png
    m.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 411
Physics news on Phys.org
That's the right answer, because an incompressible gas doesn't behave differently from the incompressible fluid. However, are you sure it's supposed to be an incompressible gas? I don't think those exist--by definition, the molecules of a gas interact very weakly, so the gas is very compressible.

ideasrule said:
That's the right answer, because an incompressible gas doesn't behave differently from the incompressible fluid. However, are you sure it's supposed to be an incompressible gas? I don't think those exist--by definition, the molecules of a gas interact very weakly, so the gas is very compressible.

Whoops, you're right, the green substance in question is also a liquid, so no gases. Thanks.

Related to Calculating Pressure Difference in an Equilibrium Hydrostatics System

1. What is hydrostatics and why is it important in science?

Hydrostatics is the study of fluids at rest, which includes liquids and gases. This field is important in science because it helps us understand the behavior of fluids and how they interact with their environment. It also has practical applications in areas such as engineering, meteorology, and oceanography.

2. What are some common hydrostatics problems?

Some common hydrostatics problems include determining the pressure at a certain depth in a fluid, calculating the force exerted by a fluid on an object, and finding the height of a fluid in a container with different pressures at different points.

3. How do you solve a hydrostatics problem?

To solve a hydrostatics problem, you will need to use principles such as Pascal's law and Archimedes' principle, as well as equations such as the hydrostatic equation and the continuity equation. You will also need to understand concepts such as pressure, density, and buoyancy.

4. What are some real-world applications of hydrostatics?

Hydrostatics has many real-world applications, such as designing dams and levees, predicting weather patterns, and understanding the behavior of ships and submarines in water. It is also used in the construction of fountains, swimming pools, and water towers.

5. How is hydrostatics related to other branches of science?

Hydrostatics is closely related to other branches of science, such as fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. It also has connections to engineering, geology, and atmospheric science. Understanding hydrostatics can also help in solving problems in these related fields.

Back