Calculating Pressure Force on a Storefront Window | Tornado Physics Problem"

In summary, the problem requires calculating the force on a 2m x 3m store front window due to the difference in air pressure inside and outside the window when a tornado wind of 200km/h blows across it. Bernoulli's equation can be used to calculate the pressure difference between the inside and outside of the window, assuming the store is airtight. This pressure difference can then be converted to an equivalent force over the window area.
notsam

Homework Statement

A tornado wind of 200km/h blows across the face of a store front window. Estimate the force on the 2m X 3m window due to the difference in air pressure inside and outside the window. Assume the store is airtight so the inside pressure remains at 1.0 atm.

Homework Equations

Unknown

The Attempt at a Solution

PLEASE help. I honestly have no idea how to even start this problem, or what equation to use.

Physics news on Phys.org

You may want to look in your textbook for Bernoulli's equation.

I'm sorry I DO NOT understand this. So .5pv^2+pgz+p=constant. I see where the velocity plugs in...but what about the dimmensions for the window?

Assuming constant height you can use Bernoulli's equation to calculate the drop in static pressure when the wind blows across the window, that is, from

[tex] p_0 = const = p_1 + \rho v^2/2 [/tex]

where p0 = 1 atm, you can find the pressure difference between the inside (p0) and outside (p1) of the window and convert that to an equivalent force over the window area.

Ok ok, so basically since the window isn't breaking that is why I can set it equal to it? Oh and then I convert pressure to force?

The left and right side of the last equation I gave represent the total pressure at two different points on the same stream line, and that is why you can equate them.

Strictly speaking we then assume that the streamline starts inside the store, gets accelerated by the tornado and then ends up passing outside the store window. If you are uncomfortable with that assumption, you may equally well assume that the stream line starts at a different place than inside the store, but with same static pressure (and height) and zero velocity.

And yes, once you have a pressure differential over the window and you know the area of the window you can calculate the net force of this pressure difference.

Related to Calculating Pressure Force on a Storefront Window | Tornado Physics Problem"

1. What is pressure?

Pressure is defined as the force per unit area exerted on an object. It is measured in units of pascals (Pa) or newtons per square meter (N/m2).

2. How is pressure related to physics?

Pressure is an important concept in physics as it describes the amount of force applied to an area. It is a fundamental quantity in many areas of physics such as fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and atmospheric science.

3. What is the formula for pressure?

The formula for pressure is pressure = force/area. It can also be written as P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force and A is the area over which the force is applied.

4. How do I calculate pressure in a physics problem?

To calculate pressure, you need to know the force acting on an object and the area over which the force is distributed. Once you have these values, you can use the formula P = F/A to calculate the pressure.

5. What are some common units of pressure in physics?

Some common units of pressure in physics include pascals (Pa), atmospheres (atm), torr, and bar. These units are often used to measure pressure in different contexts, such as in gases, liquids, and solids.