Calculating Probabilities for Ground State Hydrogen Atom

But I don't know how to graph \Psi _0. I know it's a decaying exponential but where is it centered and with which amplitude? Maybe I should graph the probability distribution instead, it would be more informative.I'm wondering if I'm on the right track for part 1).I think I've found the probability distribution function, which is \Psi _0 ^2 = \frac{1}{\pi a_0 ^3} \cdot e^{-\frac{2r}{a_0}}. It's a max at r=0, so the electron is most probably found at a distance of 0 from the nucleus. Ah, it's a probability distribution function, not a
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The normalized wave-function corresponding to the ground state hydrogen atom has the form [tex]\Psi _0 = \frac{1}{\sqrt \pi} \cdot \frac{e^{-r/a_0}}{a_0 ^{3/2}}[/tex] where [tex]a_0[/tex] is Bohr's radius.
1)Graph the density of probability to find the electron in a spherical edge between r and r+dr. (Sorry "spherical edge" might not be the words but I hope you can understand. If not, let me know).
2)Calculate the probability that an electron in this state can be found at a greater distance than [tex]a_0[/tex].
3)Calculate the most probable distance between the electron and the nucleus.
4)Calculate [tex]\langle r \rangle[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]\int _0 ^{\infty} \Psi _0 ^2 dr =1[/tex]. I omit the absolute value since the function seems positive on all its interval of definition.

The Attempt at a Solution

For 2), my intuition tells me "[tex]1-\int _0 ^{a_0} \Psi _0 ^2 dr[/tex]" or "[tex]\int _{a_0} ^ \infty \Psi _0 ^2 dr[/tex]".
I'm having a hard time with 1).
I'm trying to find out the probability to find the electron between any radius of length dr. By any radius I mean a radius of length dr that is far away from the nucleus by an arbitrary number.
I've done an attempt on it, lead to nothing. I called [tex]C=\frac{1}{\sqrt \pi a_0 ^{3/2}}[/tex] and so what I'm looking for should be of the form [tex]C^2 \int _r^{r+dr}e^{-\frac{2r}{a_0}} dr[/tex]. I must be confusing variables calling all r's... Anyway I could never get rid of "dr" and I know my result must depend on r and not on dr.

Any insight is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:

Homework Equations

[tex]\int _0 ^{\infty} \Psi _0 ^2 dr =1[/tex]. I omit the absolute value since the function seems positive on all its interval of definition.
This isn't quite correct. In spherical coordinates, the normalization condition is

[tex]\int_0^\infty \int_0^\pi \int_0^{2\pi} \Psi^2(r,\theta,\phi) r^2\sin\theta\,d\phi\,d\theta\,dr = 1[/tex]

Your answer for part 1 will depend on dr.

vela said:
This isn't quite correct. In spherical coordinates, the normalization condition is

[tex]\int_0^\infty \int_0^\pi \int_0^{2\pi} \Psi^2(r,\theta,\phi) r^2\sin\theta\,d\phi\,d\theta\,dr = 1[/tex]

Your answer for part 1 will depend on dr.

Ah yes you're right. Thanks for pointing this out.
Actually I've shown in my draft that [tex]\int_0^\infty \int_0^\pi \int_0^{2\pi} \Psi^2(r,\theta,\phi) r^2\sin\theta\,d\phi\,d\theta\,dr = 1[/tex]. The algebra involved 2 integrations by part.
So I've done the same algebra but with the integral limits r' and dr' instead of 0 to [tex]\infty[/tex].
What I get is a huge expression, not sure it simplifies nicely.
For 1), I get [tex]-\frac{1}{\sqrt a_0} \{ (r'^2 +2r' dr')e^{-\frac{2(r'+dr')}{a_0}} - r'^2 e ^{-\frac{2 r'}{a_0}} - a_0 \{ (r'+dr') e^{- \frac{2 (r'+dr')}{a_0}} + r' e^{-\frac{2r'}{a_0}} + \frac{a_0}{2} \left [ e^{-\frac{2 (r'+dr')}{a_0}} - e^{- \frac{2r'}{a_0}} \right ] \} \}[/tex].
I must graph that :eek:. Also I depreciated the terms [tex]dr'^2[/tex] as I've been thaught in this forum some months ago.

Last edited:
Well, you could keep going, and as long as you don't make an algebra mistake, it will eventually work out. But it would be a lot quicker to recognize that

[tex]\int_r^{r+dr} f(r)dr = f(r)dr[/tex]

vela said:
Well, you could keep going, and as long as you don't make an algebra mistake, it will eventually work out. But it would be a lot quicker to recognize that

[tex]\int_r^{r+dr} f(r)dr = f(r)dr[/tex]
Oh, I still don't see it. If I take it as true, I reach [tex]-\frac{2}{a_0 ^{3/2}} (r^2 e^{ \frac{-2r}{a_0} } dr )[/tex], not sure it's what I should get?

I tried part 2). I get a non sense result (negative probability).
What I did was [tex]\int_{a_0}^\infty \int_0^\pi \int_0^{2\pi} \Psi^2(r,\theta,\phi) r^2\sin\theta\,d\phi\,d\theta\,dr = e^{-2} \left ( -1 - \frac{3}{a_0} \right )[/tex].
My intuition tells me I should reach 1/2. Now I must sleep so I'll redo the algebra tomorrow. I'm somehow curious what do you get on this.

I should have been a little more careful. The probability of finding the electron between r and r+dr will be

[tex]P(r<R<r+dr) = \int_r^{r+dr} \int_0^\pi \int_0^{2\pi} \Psi^2(r,\theta,\phi) r^2\sin\theta\,d\phi\,d\theta\,dr = f(r) dr[/tex]

where f(r) is the density that you're asked to find. Does that make what you're trying to find in part 1 clearer? Something went wrong with your calculation above since you have a negative sign and the units don't work out. The density should have units of 1/length.

In part 2, your setup is fine. You apparently messed up the integration. You should get 5/e2 overall. The angular integrals by themselves should give you a factor of 4π.

Last edited:
fluidistic said:
Oh, I still don't see it.
Intuitively, you can consider f(r) to be constant between r and r+dr since dr is infinitesimally small, so the area under the curve will just be the height, f(r), multiplied by the width, dr.

You could also get this result using the fundamental theorem of calculus.

Ok thank you for the explanation.
Now I indeed reach [tex]5 e^{-2}[/tex]. I had made an error with the limits of integration (I interchanged theta for phi).
This means the electron has a probability of around 0.68 to be farer than Bohr's radius. Then why does Bohr's model works well to explain transition emission?
Hmm maybe because even though the electron has a greater chance to be farer than Bohr's radius than closer to the radius, the mean value of expectation to find the electron can still be [tex]a_0[/tex].
Now looking at part 3). It seems like I'm looking for a maximum, therefore I should find the maximum of [tex]\Psi _0[/tex]? Because it's also the max of [tex]\Psi _0 ^2[/tex] and thus of the probability to find the electron.
Hmm it would give r=0... Ok I'll look into part 1) maybe.

Related to Calculating Probabilities for Ground State Hydrogen Atom

1. What is the Bohr atom model?

The Bohr atom model, also known as the planetary model, is a representation of the atom proposed by Danish physicist Niels Bohr in 1913. It describes the atom as a small, positively charged nucleus surrounded by orbiting electrons at specific energy levels.

2. How does the Bohr atom model explain the stability of atoms?

The Bohr atom model explains the stability of atoms by stating that electrons can only exist in certain energy levels or orbits around the nucleus. These orbits have fixed energies and do not emit any radiation, making the atom stable.

3. What is the significance of the Bohr radius in the Bohr atom model?

The Bohr radius, also known as the first Bohr radius, is the distance between the electron and the nucleus in the lowest energy level or orbit of a hydrogen atom. It is significant because it determines the size of the atom and the spacing between its energy levels.

4. How does the Bohr atom model incorporate probabilities?

The Bohr atom model incorporates probabilities through the concept of electron orbitals. These are regions of space where there is a high probability of finding an electron. However, the exact location and path of the electron cannot be determined with certainty.

5. What are the limitations of the Bohr atom model?

The Bohr atom model has several limitations, including its inability to accurately describe the behavior of atoms with more than one electron, its failure to explain the exact mechanism of electron transition, and its neglect of the wave nature of electrons. It was later replaced by more advanced models such as the quantum mechanical model.

Back