Calculating Probabilities for Sole Supplier Selection in Auto Industry

In summary, we have five companies (A, B, C, D, and E) competing to be the sole supplier of relays to a major automobile manufacturer. The probabilities of choosing a company as the sole supplier are given as A: 0.20, B: 0.25, C: 0.15, D: 0.30, and E: 0.10. If supplier E goes out of business, the new probabilities for companies A, B, C, and D to be chosen as the sole supplier are 0.2222, 0.2777, 0.1666, and 0.3333, respectively. If the auto company narrows the choice of suppliers
dirtybiscuit

Homework Statement

Five companies (A,B,C,D and E) that make electrical relays compete each year to be the sole supplier of relays to a major automobile manufacturer. The auto company's records show that the probabilities of choosing a company to be the sole supplier are

Supplier chain: A B C D E
Probability: .20 .25 .15 .30 .10

A) Suppose that supplier E goes out of business this year, leaving the remaining four companies to compete with one another. What are the new probabilities of companies A,B,C and D being chosen as the sole supplier this year?
B) Suppose the auto company narrows the choice of suppliers to companies A and C. What is the probability that company A is chosen this year?

Homework Equations

I'm truly not sure where to start on this. I feel like E' = .9 is relevant to find each. Like P(A|E') but I'm having trouble figuring out where to go.

The Attempt at a Solution

P(A|E') = P(A and E')/P(E') = P(A)*P(E')/P(E') = P(A) ...yeah I'm obviously confused ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
A) For Part A, E' is now 0.9 (let us call this the total that all probabilities can be as of know) so to finf the new probability of (A) you would P(A)/E' = 0.2/0.9 = 0.22222 = 0.22
Do the same for B,C,D, and E and you should have a new probability whose sum is (1)

B)for Part B, the total is now 0.5 (0.2 + 0.3) so for A the probability is 0.2/0.5 = 0.4 and C is 0.6, so the chance that A is chosen is 0.4

Ummm Farouk C = 0.15 and not 0.3, so actually the total would be 0.35...

dirtybiscuit said:

Homework Statement

Five companies (A,B,C,D and E) that make electrical relays compete each year to be the sole supplier of relays to a major automobile manufacturer. The auto company's records show that the probabilities of choosing a company to be the sole supplier are

A) Suppose that supplier E goes out of business this year, leaving the remaining four companies to compete with one another. What are the new probabilities of companies A,B,C and D being chosen as the sole supplier this year?
B) Suppose the auto company narrows the choice of suppliers to companies A and C. What is the probability that company A is chosen this year?

Homework Equations

I'm truly not sure where to start on this. I feel like E' = .9 is relevant to find each. Like P(A|E') but I'm having trouble figuring out where to go.

P(A|E') = P(A and E')/P(E') = P(A)*P(E')/P(E') = P(A) ...yeah I'm obviously confused ;)

When you apply conditional probability arguments, you are essentially assuming that the relative odds remain the same after E fails. In other words: before E fails we have
[tex] \frac{P(B)}{P(A)} = \frac{.25}{.20}, \:
\frac{P(C)}{P(A)} = \frac{.15}{.25}, \: \frac{P(D)}{P(A)} = \frac{.30}{.20} [/tex]
Assume these same ratios hold after E fails, but now we must also have ##P(A) + P(B) + P(C) + P(D) = 1##. Can you find the new Ps? They ought to be the same as ##P(A|E')##, etc.

If you draw a Venn diagram, the events A, B, C, D and E are mutually exclusive (no overlap) and together give the whole sample space. So, what is ##A \cap E'##? Just look at the diagram to see. That allows an easy computation of ##P(A|E') = P(A \cap E')/P(E')##.

dirtybiscuit said:

Homework Statement

So you are really asking how E's 10% of the market is to be divided among the others. I would think there should be more information but, assuming that the division is to be proportional to each chain's current percentage. The entire "market" of A, B, C, and D was .20+ .25+ .15+ .30= .90 so A's new share is .20/.90= .2222..., B's new share is .25/.90= .2777..., etc.
Pretty much the same thing: the total is now just .20+ .15= .35. A's share would be .20/.35= .571428... and B's share would be .15/.35= .428571...

Homework Equations

Don't just memorize formulas! Learn concepts and think!

Panphobia said:
Ummm Farouk C = 0.15 and not 0.3, so actually the total would be 0.35...

Yea My bad :)) Misread it but still the same idea right?
Edit: It would be 0.2/(0.2 + 0.15) = 0.5714 ??

FAQ: Calculating Probabilities for Sole Supplier Selection in Auto Industry

1. What is probability and why is it important?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is important because it helps us understand and predict the outcomes of various events, and make informed decisions based on the likelihood of different outcomes.

2. How do you calculate probability?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and empirical probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical principles and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Empirical probability is based on actual observations or experiments and can vary based on the sample size and conditions.

4. What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events where the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of another event. Dependent events are events where the outcome of one event does depend on the outcome of another event.

5. Can probability be greater than 1 or less than 0?

No, probability can only range from 0 to 1. A probability of 0 means the event is impossible, while a probability of 1 means the event is certain to occur.