Calculating Probabilities for Studying Hours in Multiple Subjects

In summary, the student has 15 hours to study for an exam in 5 subjects. She has 15 plain and 4 chocolate mini candy bars in a paper bag and pulls one at random every hour. If it is plain, she eats it and continues to study the same subject. If it is chocolate, she throws it away and moves on to the next subject. To calculate the probability of devoting precisely three hours to each subject, the sequence of PPC PPC PPC PPC PP (P for plain, C for chocolate) must be used. For the first PPC, the probability is (15/19)(14/18)(4/17). For the second PPC, given that the first one has occurred, the probability is (
libragirl79
Suppose a student has 15 hours to study for exam in 5 subjects. She puts 15 plain and 4 chocolate mini candy bars into a paper bag and starts studying the first subject. At the end of every hour, she pulls a candy bar at random from the bag. If it is plain, she eats it and continues to study the same subject. If it is chocolate, she throws it away and moves along to the next subject.
a) What is the probability that she devotes precisely three hours to each subject?
b) What is the probability that she devotes three hours to one subject, then four hours to two subjects and two hours to two remaining subjects?

So, I mapped it out and for a) got the sequence of PPC PPC PPC PPC PP (P for plain, C for choc candy) and then used the hypergeom form to get (15 choose 2) times (4 choose 1) divided by (19 choose 3) and get 43% but it's only for the first subject, the first PPC. But if I multiply by the rest of the subjects, the numbers are too big.
For the second one, PC PPPC PPPC PC P, and for this one I am not sure if it would also be hypergeom? I also though I could use neg bin by letting X equal the success=chocolate, but the numbers are not working out.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
libragirl79 said:
Suppose a student has 15 hours to study for exam in 5 subjects. She puts 15 plain and 4 chocolate mini candy bars into a paper bag and starts studying the first subject. At the end of every hour, she pulls a candy bar at random from the bag. If it is plain, she eats it and continues to study the same subject. If it is chocolate, she throws it away and moves along to the next subject.
a) What is the probability that she devotes precisely three hours to each subject?
b) What is the probability that she devotes three hours to one subject, then four hours to two subjects and two hours to two remaining subjects?

So, I mapped it out and for a) got the sequence of PPC PPC PPC PPC PP (P for plain, C for choc candy) and then used the hypergeom form to get (15 choose 2) times (4 choose 1) divided by (19 choose 3) and get 43% but it's only for the first subject, the first PPC. But if I multiply by the rest of the subjects, the numbers are too big.
For the second one, PC PPPC PPPC PC P, and for this one I am not sure if it would also be hypergeom? I also though I could use neg bin by letting X equal the success=chocolate, but the numbers are not working out.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Let's assume she studies the subjects in specified order 1,2,3,4,5.

In your solution for (a) you should NOT use the hypergeometric distribution, because the actual order of candy events is important here. The first PPC (in that order) has probability = (15/19)(14/18)(4/17). The second PPC in that order (given that the first one has occurred) has probability = (13/16)(12/15)(3/14), etc.

Part (b) is similar.

RGV

Thank you!

Related to Calculating Probabilities for Studying Hours in Multiple Subjects

1. What is the definition of probability?

Probability is a mathematical concept that measures the likelihood of an event occurring. It is typically represented as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

The probability of an event is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be expressed as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What are the different types of probability?

There are three main types of probability: theoretical, experimental, and subjective. Theoretical probability is based on mathematical principles, experimental probability is based on actual observations or data, and subjective probability is based on personal belief or judgment.

4. What is the difference between independent and dependent events in probability?

Independent events are events that do not affect each other's probabilities. In other words, the outcome of one event does not influence the outcome of the other event. Dependent events, on the other hand, are events that are affected by each other's probabilities. The outcome of one event can impact the outcome of the other event.

5. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as predicting weather patterns, analyzing risk in insurance and finance, and making decisions in games of chance. It is also used in scientific research and experiments to determine the likelihood of certain outcomes.