Calculating Probability of Exactly One Faulty Product in 5 Days

In summary, the conversation discussed a probability table showing the likelihood of producing a certain number of faulty products in a day. The question was then posed about finding the probability of exactly one faulty product in a 5 day period. The expert explained that it is not as simple as multiplying the probability by 5, as one of the days must have a single faulty product and the other four days must have none. The conversation also mentioned that this is an example of a binomial distribution problem. Finally, the person seeking help was able to solve the problem and thanked the expert for their assistance.
Xenix
I am given this probability table:

x 0 1 2 3 4
P(X=x) 0.8 0.1 0.05 0.03 0.02

X is the amount of faulty products produced in a day.

I am being asked to find the probability of a exactly one product being foulty in a 5 day periode.

I am a bit confused. I know from the table that the probability of exactly one faulty product in 1 day is 0.1.
But for 5 days, is it that ease just to multiply 0.1 by 5? Or is it 0,1^5?

Physics news on Phys.org
Xenix said:
I am given this probability table:

x 0 1 2 3 4
P(X=x) 0.8 0.1 0.05 0.03 0.02

X is the amount of faulty products produced in a day.

I am being asked to find the probability of a exactly one product being foulty in a 5 day periode.

I am a bit confused. I know from the table that the probability of exactly one faulty product in 1 day is 0.1.
But for 5 days, is it that ease just to multiply 0.1 by 5? Or is it 0,1^5?

No, it's not that simple. One of the days has to have a single faulty product. The other four days have to have no faulty products.

Ok, thank you for your answer, so then 0.1*(4*0.8)?

Xenix said:
Ok, thank you for your answer, so then 0.1*(4*0.8)?

No, the probability of something with probability 0.8 happening on 4 days isn't (4*0.8). That's bigger than 1! This an example of a binomial distribution problem. Don't you have a lesson on that?

Thanks again for the answer. It turns out there is a scheduling conflict at the uni and we are not supposed to cover that topic until next week, however the assignment is due Monday.
I managed to solve this though.
Thanks for your help! :)

Xenix said:
Thanks again for the answer. It turns out there is a scheduling conflict at the uni and we are not supposed to cover that topic until next week, however the assignment is due Monday.
I managed to solve this though.
Thanks for your help! :)

Good work. I was wondering why you seemed to be missing a lot of the basics to tackle this problem.

FAQ: Calculating Probability of Exactly One Faulty Product in 5 Days

1. How do I calculate the probability of exactly one faulty product in 5 days?

The probability of exactly one faulty product in 5 days can be calculated using the binomial distribution formula. This formula takes into account the number of trials (5 days), the probability of success (probability of a faulty product), and the desired outcome (exactly one faulty product).

2. What factors should I consider when calculating this probability?

Some factors to consider when calculating the probability of exactly one faulty product in 5 days include the reliability of the product, the production process, and any potential defects in the materials used. These factors can affect the probability of a faulty product and should be taken into account when making calculations.

3. Can I use historical data to help calculate this probability?

Yes, historical data can be useful in calculating the probability of exactly one faulty product in 5 days. By analyzing past production and defect rates, you can get a better understanding of the likelihood of a faulty product and use this information in your calculations.

4. How can I increase the probability of having exactly one faulty product in 5 days?

To increase the probability of exactly one faulty product in 5 days, you can improve the production process, use higher quality materials, and implement quality control measures. These actions can help reduce the likelihood of faulty products and increase the chances of having exactly one faulty product in 5 days.

5. Is there a way to validate my calculated probability?

Yes, there are several ways to validate your calculated probability. One way is to conduct a trial run and compare the actual results to your calculated probability. Another way is to have your calculations reviewed by another scientist or statistician to ensure accuracy.

Back