Calculating Projectile Motion: Time to Reach 10m Below Launch Point

In summary, a ball is tossed from an upper story window of a building with an initial velocity of 8.00 m/s at an angle of 20 degrees below the horizontal. Using the equation yf=vi(sin(theta))-.5gt^2 and solving for t, the time it takes for the ball to reach a point 10.0m below the level of launching is 1.23 seconds. However, the correct answer is 1.18 seconds, indicating that the equation may be missing a "t" term. It is suggested to rearrange the equation and use the quadratic formula to solve for t. Additionally, it is important to check the sign convention and ensure that all values are negative in the downward direction.
MattPalmer
A ball is tossed from an upper story window of a building. It has an initial velocity of 8.00 m/s at an angle of 20 degrees below the horizontal. How long does it take the ball to reach a point 10.0m below the level of launching.

I tried using the equation
yf=vi(sin(theta))-.5gt^2
Which I simplified to
(yf-vi(sin(theta)))/.5g = t^2
Then
(10-8(sin(20)))/(4.91) =t^2
Finally t=1.23, however my book says I should be getting 1.18s, what am I doing incorrectly?
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation is missing a "t" in the term containing the initial velocity.
The general form should be
[tex]y=y_0+v_{y0}t+1/2gt^2[/tex]

nasu said:
Your equation is missing a "t" in the term containing the initial velocity.
The general form should be
[tex]y=y_0+v_{y0}t+1/2gt^2[/tex]

Would that mean that I need to solve the equation using the quadratic formula?

You are missing a 't' after the [itex] v_o\sin\theta [/itex] term. After you have this, rearrange your equation into the form [itex] at^2 + bt +c = 0 [/itex] and use methods of solving quadratics.

MattPalmer said:
Would that mean that I need to solve the equation using the quadratic formula?

Yes.

Check the sign convention. If g is negative in the downward direction then yf -yo and vi*sin(theta) should be negative in the downward direction.

Got it, thanks guys

FAQ: Calculating Projectile Motion: Time to Reach 10m Below Launch Point

1. How do I calculate the time it takes for a projectile to reach 10m below its launch point?

To calculate the time it takes for a projectile to reach 10m below its launch point, you can use the equation t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the height, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. Can I use this equation for any projectile motion?

Yes, this equation can be used for any projectile motion, as long as the projectile is launched from a horizontal surface and the only force acting on it is gravity.

3. How accurate is this calculation?

This calculation is accurate as long as the initial velocity and launch angle are known with precision. However, factors such as air resistance and wind can affect the actual time it takes for a projectile to reach 10m below its launch point.

4. What if the projectile is launched at an angle?

If the projectile is launched at an angle, you can still use the same equation by considering the vertical component of the initial velocity. The initial height would then be the vertical displacement from the launch point.

5. Can I use this equation to calculate the time it takes for a projectile to reach a different height?

Yes, this equation can be used to calculate the time it takes for a projectile to reach any desired height, as long as the initial velocity and launch angle remain constant. Simply substitute the desired height for h in the equation.