Calculating Pulse Transformer Frequency at Voltage

In summary, the speaker needs help understanding how to calculate the minimum allowable frequency for a pulse transformer with an ET value of 45Vusec when being fed 22.5KHz at +/-6VAC square wave. They are concerned that the transformer may be operating out of spec and are seeking a simple explanation for how to calculate the data from the ET value. They are referred to a website for more information and the responder provides a basic explanation of the physics involved in calculating the frequency. They also mention that running the transformer at half the frequency may be possible due to the square wave nature of the voltage.
Honk
Hi.
I need some help in explaining in a simple way how to calculate the minimum allowable
frequency at a certain voltage when selecting a pulse transformer.
The one I'm looking at has an ET value of 45Vusec.

I'm feeding it 22.5KHz at +/-6VAC square wave. It seems to work fine but I fear it is operating out of spec.
Can someone nice her please help me (in s simple way) how to calculate the data from the ET value?

Regards / Honk

Engineering news on Phys.org
Honk said:
Can someone nice her please help me (in s simple way) how to calculate the data from the ET value?

I really like that Butler link.

I'm no pulse transformer expert, but hre's the basic physics you start from.

Volts in a coil is proportional to Δflux /Δtime. dΦ/dt

so Φ = ∫volts dt
for one half cycle of your square wave volts is constant so it can move to other side of integral sign
Φ = volts X time
and they're telling you your transformer can hold enough flux to withstand 45 volt- microseconds, that is 45 volts for 1 microsecond or 1 volt for 45 microseconds
or 6 volts for 7.5 microseconds.

So what is frequency of a square wave with half cycle duration of 7.5 microseconds ?
Any lower frequency saturates it.

Note that is for unidirectional applied voltage.
Since your bipolar square wave drives the core between negative and positive Φmax not zero and max, you probably would get away with running it at half that frequency provided wave is square ie 50% duty cycle ..

See? You knew that already.

old jim

Likes Baluncore

Related to Calculating Pulse Transformer Frequency at Voltage

1. How do you calculate the frequency of a pulse transformer at a specific voltage?

In order to calculate the frequency of a pulse transformer at a specific voltage, you will need to know the transformer's inductance and the voltage applied to it. Using the formula f = 1/(2*pi*sqrt(L*C)), where L is the inductance and C is the capacitance, you can solve for the frequency. Make sure to use consistent units for accuracy.

2. Can the frequency of a pulse transformer change with voltage?

Yes, the frequency of a pulse transformer can change with voltage. This is because the inductance of the transformer can vary with changes in voltage, which affects the overall frequency according to the formula f = 1/(2*pi*sqrt(L*C)). As a result, the frequency can increase or decrease depending on the voltage applied.

3. Is there a specific range of voltages that should be used when calculating the frequency of a pulse transformer?

There is no specific voltage range that should be used when calculating the frequency of a pulse transformer. However, it is important to ensure that the voltage applied is within the range that the transformer is designed for. Using higher voltages can cause damage to the transformer and affect the accuracy of the frequency calculation.

4. Can the frequency of a pulse transformer be measured directly?

No, the frequency of a pulse transformer cannot be measured directly. It can only be calculated using the formula f = 1/(2*pi*sqrt(L*C)) or by using specialized equipment such as an oscilloscope. This is because the frequency is not a physical property that can be measured, but rather a mathematical calculation based on the transformer's inductance and capacitance.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated frequency of a pulse transformer?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated frequency of a pulse transformer. These include variations in the transformer's inductance and capacitance due to changes in temperature, the quality of the components used, and external interference. It is important to use precise measurements and high-quality components to ensure the accuracy of the frequency calculation.