Calculating radiation dose from flux

In summary, the radiation dose received at a particular point in space being subjected to a high rate of proton flux would be approximately 0.801 Sv per second.
Walternate
Hi!
Hopefully I'm not being too stupid, but I'm trying to work out the radiation dose received at a particular point in space being subjected to a high rate of proton flux.

I think.. that I am right in working it out this way so far, for instance if the flux rate of Protons >100Mev is 10^7 cm3 s-1

(100*10^6 ev) * (10^7 cm3 s-1) * (1.602×10^−19 Joules) = 1.602*10^-4 Joules cm3 s-1

Based on 1cm3 of body mass being 1g then:

(1.602*10^-4)*1000g = 0.1602 Joules/Kg (s-1)

= 0.1602 Gy (s-1)

0.1602 * 5 Proton Q.F. = 0.801 Sv (s-1)

So would the calculations be correct in stating that if you were suspended in an area of space with a Proton flux of 10^7 cm3 s-1 with proton energies of 100Mev you would be receiving an effective dose of 0.801 Sv / Second ?

It's probably all garbage, but if anyone can help I would be most grateful :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a very rough calculation of the radiation dose from 100 MeV protons.

First, the proper unit of radiation dose is rads or Grays (energy deposited). 1 rad = 100 ergs per gram, and 1 rad = 0.01 gray. For 100 MeV protons, the entire dose is due to ionization (protons colliding with atomic electrons). See Equation 27.3 (Bethe Bloch equation) in

http://pdg.ihep.su/2009/reviews/rpp2009-rev-passage-particles-matter.pdf

Figure 27.2 shows dE/dx as a function of βγ. For a 100-MeV proton,

βγ = [(100 + 938)2 - 9382]/9382 = 0.22.

Note the Bragg peak on the left.

So for carbon in Fig.27.2, dE/dx = ~10 MeV per gram/cm2 = 107 eV per gram/cm2

So if we have a proton flux of 107 protons per cm2 per sec,

the radiation dose is

dose = [107protons/(cm2sec)][107eV-cm2/proton-gram][1.6 x 10-12 ergs/eV][1 rad-gram/100 ergs]=

= [107[STRIKE]protons[/STRIKE]/([STRIKE]cm2[/STRIKE]sec)][107[STRIKE]eV[/STRIKE]-[STRIKE]cm2[/SUP[/STRIKE]]/[STRIKE]proton[/STRIKE]-[STRIKE]gram[/STRIKE]][1.6 x 10-12 [STRIKE]ergs[/STRIKE]/[STRIKE]eV[/STRIKE]][1 rad-[STRIKE]gram[/STRIKE]/100 [STRIKE]ergs[/STRIKE]] = 1.6 rads/sec

I don't have the dE/dx for tissue at 100 MeV, but it is close to carbon. I am also not aware of how quality factors are applied to protons in this calculation, because it is usually included in dE/dx. I hope this helps.

Bob S

Thank you Bob :) I can see I was way off with what I was trying to do then. I'm not sure where I got cm3 for flux either, I should have spotted that really! I imagine flux is measured through a 2 dimensional plane?
I will have a read of what you posted for me so thank you! But I think I am a little way off being able to calculate what I was trying to do in all honestly.

Note error in my previous post for the equation and value of βγ at 100 MeV.

the correct equation and value is βγ = sqrt{ [(100 + 938)2 - 9382]/9382} = 0.47.

This reduces dE/dx of 100 MeV protons in carbon to about 6 MeV per gram/cm2, and the rad dose at 100 MeV to about 1 rad per second..

I attach a thumbnail of proton dE/dx in water (similar to tissue). dE/dx = 7.28 MeV per gram/cm2 at 100 MeV.

Bob S

Attachments

• proton_dEdx_water.jpg
    proton_dEdx_water.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 974
Last edited:

Related to Calculating radiation dose from flux

1. How is radiation dose calculated from flux?

Radiation dose is calculated by multiplying the flux of radiation (measured in particles/s or energy/s) by the amount of time the individual is exposed to the radiation. This gives the total amount of radiation received.

2. What is the unit of measurement for radiation dose?

The unit of measurement for radiation dose is the sievert (Sv). However, in some cases, the unit of measurement may also be expressed in grays (Gy) or rem.

3. What factors affect the calculation of radiation dose from flux?

The calculation of radiation dose from flux is affected by several factors, including the type of radiation, the energy of the radiation, the distance from the radiation source, and the shielding present.

4. Can radiation dose from flux be calculated for all types of radiation?

Yes, radiation dose can be calculated for all types of radiation, including alpha, beta, gamma, and neutron radiation. However, the method of calculation may differ depending on the type of radiation.

5. What are the limitations of calculating radiation dose from flux?

Calculating radiation dose from flux is not an exact science and there are some limitations to the calculation. Factors such as individual variation in sensitivity to radiation, the effects of multiple types of radiation, and the potential for external factors to influence the calculation can affect the accuracy of the final result.