Calculating radius of Rubidium in unit cellHelp.

• Thread starter christian0710
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radius Unit
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the radius of a Rubidium ion in a sodium chloride structure, given the density of Rubidium chloride and the assumption that the ions touch each other along the sides of the unit cell. The conversation also touches on the number of moles and atoms in a unit cell and the need to know the radii ratio to accurately calculate the radius. However, it is noted that the radii of the cation and anion are almost identical, but this is not explicitly stated in the problem.
christian0710

Homework Statement

Calculate the Radius of Rubidium ion (which adopts sodium chloride structure.), if the density of Rubidium chloride is 2.76g*cm^(-3) and if we assume that the ions touch each other along the sides of the edge of the unit cell.

I'm a bit lost here. I assume the density is the density of the whole unit cell. But how can I find a radius without knowing any length at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
How many moles of RbCl per one cubic centimeter of the crystal? How many molecules it is? Unit cells?

In one unit cell there must be 4 moles of sodium and 4 chloride units even thought the cation sodium is much smaller than Cl.

christian0710 said:
In one unit cell there must be 4 moles of sodium

Atoms, not moles. And mole is known number of atoms (molecules, ions, whatever).

Ahh yes, so perhaps if we know the radii ratio? It's not given in the problem, but i could imagine we would have to know how many times one atom is bigger than another?

On the second thought, while apparently mole step is necessary to calculate volume of the unit cell, I don't see how to calculate radius. Sum of radii of the cation and the anion is obvious, but separating them is not, unless I am missing something.

It happens that the radii are almost identical, but it is not said in the question.

FAQ: Calculating radius of Rubidium in unit cellHelp.

1. What is the formula for calculating the radius of Rubidium in a unit cell?

The formula for calculating the radius of Rubidium in a unit cell is: R = a/2, where R is the radius and a is the length of the unit cell.

2. How is the radius of Rubidium in a unit cell related to its atomic radius?

The radius of Rubidium in a unit cell is equal to half of its atomic radius. This is because the unit cell contains one atom of Rubidium at each corner, and the distance from one corner to the center of the unit cell is half of the unit cell length.

3. What units should be used when calculating the radius of Rubidium in a unit cell?

The radius of Rubidium in a unit cell is typically expressed in units of picometers (pm) or angstroms (Å).

4. Can the radius of Rubidium in a unit cell be calculated using other methods?

Yes, the radius of Rubidium in a unit cell can also be calculated using X-ray diffraction data or other experimental techniques. However, the formula mentioned above is the most commonly used method for calculating the radius of Rubidium in a unit cell.

5. How does the radius of Rubidium in a unit cell affect its properties?

The radius of Rubidium in a unit cell can affect its properties, such as density and reactivity, as it determines the distance between atoms in the crystal lattice. Changes in the radius can also impact the overall stability and strength of the unit cell structure.

Back