Calculating Radius & Water Depth of a Spherical Bowl

In summary, the water level in a spherical bowl has a diameter of 30 cm. If the horizontal diameter of the bowl is 10 cm below the water level, calculate the radius of the bowl and the depth of the water in the bowl.
Chijioke
Misplaced Homework Thread
The water level in a spherical bowl has a diameter of 30 cm. If the horizontal diameter of the bowl is 10 cm below the water level, calculate the radius of the bowl and the depth of the water in the bowl.
I managed to draw a diagram below:
IMG_20230206_031542.jpg

In my drawing, I am seeing the sphere ABCD as the spherical bowl and the AB as the diameter of the water level.
I also see CD as the horizontal diameter of bowl which is below the water level and d as depth of the water.
If think I am having problem interpreting the problem based on what I have drawn.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chijioke said:
The water level in a spherical bowl has a diameter of 30 cm. If the horizontal diameter of the bowl is 10 cm below the water level, calculate the radius of the bowl and the depth of the water in the bowl.
I managed to draw a diagram below:
View attachment 321836
In my drawing, I am seeing the sphere ABCD as the spherical bowl and the AB as the diameter of the water level.
I also see CD as the horizontal diameter of bowl which is below the water level and d as depth of the water.
If think I am having problem interpreting the problem based on what I have drawn.
The cross section 10 cm below the water level is the has the diameter of the sphere. The cross section at water level has a 30 cm diameter.

1675652285009.png

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
Are you supposed to use the equation of a circle or trigonometry to solve this problem?

You could make this a lot simpler by drawing a 2D diagram (vertical plane through centre). Basically this diagran is:

1) a circle, centre O;
2) a horizontal line, ##L_1## through O (i.e. a horizontal diameter);
3) a horizontal chord, ##L_2##, 10cm above ##L_1## and with length 30cm.

The rest should follow using Pythagoras.

Likes Chijioke
IMG_20230530_023600.jpg

So if you're rounding to nearest centimeter, it looks good.

Likes Chijioke
scottdave said:
So if you're rounding to nearest centimeter, it looks good.
or even nearest mm.

Likes Chijioke and scottdave

Related to Calculating Radius & Water Depth of a Spherical Bowl

1. How do you calculate the radius of a spherical bowl?

To calculate the radius of a spherical bowl, you need to measure the diameter of the bowl at its widest point and then divide by 2. The formula is: Radius = Diameter / 2.

2. How can you determine the water depth in a spherical bowl?

To determine the water depth in a spherical bowl, you need to measure the vertical distance from the surface of the water to the bottom of the bowl. This can be done using a ruler or a depth gauge.

3. What is the relationship between the radius of the bowl and the water depth?

The relationship between the radius of the bowl and the water depth is given by the geometry of the sphere. For a spherical cap (the water surface), the depth can be related to the radius using the formula: h = R - sqrt(R^2 - r^2), where h is the depth, R is the radius of the bowl, and r is the radius of the water surface.

4. How do you calculate the volume of water in a spherical bowl?

The volume of water in a spherical bowl can be calculated using the formula for the volume of a spherical cap: V = (1/3)πh^2(3R - h), where V is the volume, h is the water depth, and R is the radius of the bowl.

5. Can you calculate the water depth if you know the volume of water and the radius of the bowl?

Yes, you can calculate the water depth if you know the volume of water and the radius of the bowl. You would use the inverse of the spherical cap volume formula to solve for h: V = (1/3)πh^2(3R - h). This may involve solving a cubic equation, which can be complex and might require numerical methods or approximation techniques.