Calculating Rate of Change in Parallel Resistors

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving finding the rate of change of total resistance in a parallel circuit. The formula for total resistance is given and the rates of change for the individual resistors are also provided. The conversation ends with a discussion of the solution process and a mistake in the initial calculation.
tangents
Hey Guys, I learning about Related rates and although I understand the basic concepts, I'm stuggling with this problem

- When two resistors r1 and R2 are connected in parallel, the total resistance R is given by the equation 1/R=1/R1+1/R2. If R1 and R2 are increasing at rates of .01 ohm/sec and .02 ohm/sec respectively, at what rate is R changing at the instant R1=30 ohms and R2= 90 ohms?

My Work:

dr1/dt= .01
dr2/dt= .02
dr/dt= Trying to find this when r1=30 and r2=90
First what I did was plug in R1 and R2 to get total resistance which i got to be 1/22.5. Next I took the derivative of that equation: -1/r1²(dr/dt)=-1/r²(dr1/dt)-1/r²2(dr/dt). I plugged in R1 and R2 along with dr1/dt and dr2/dt along with the total resistance and tried to solve for dr/dt (total resistance change). But I end up with .018 ohms/sec whereas the answer the book shows is 11/1600 or .006 ohm/sec.

Where did i go wrong? Could someone please show me a easy to follow step by step in getting the answer ^_^, i would greatly appreciate it!.

Physics news on Phys.org
tangents said:
-1/r1²(dr/dt)=-1/r²(dr1/dt)-1/r²2(dr/dt).
Don't you mean:
[tex]\frac{-1}{R^2}\frac{dR}{dt}=\frac{-1}{R_1^2}\frac{dR_1}{dt} - \frac{1}{R_2^2}\frac{dR_2}{dt}[/tex]
Then its just a matter of solving for dr/dt:
[tex]\frac{dR}{dt}=-R^2(\frac{-1}{R_1^2}\frac{dR_1}{dt} - \frac{1}{R_2^2}\frac{dR_2}{dt})[/tex]
You can get the value of R from the first equation. The answer comes out right.

tangents said:
First what I did was plug in R1 and R2 to get total resistance which i got to be 1/22.5.
I didn't see this before. This is a mistake. The formula gives you 1/R, so R is actually 22.5, not 1/22.5.

Related to Calculating Rate of Change in Parallel Resistors

1. How do you solve related rates problems?

Related rates problems involve finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another. To solve these problems, you must first identify the variables involved and their rates of change. Then, use the given information and the appropriate mathematical equations to set up a relationship between the variables. Finally, differentiate the equation with respect to time and solve for the desired rate of change.

2. How are resistors related to related rates?

Resistors are components used in electrical circuits that resist the flow of electrical current. In related rates problems, resistors are often used to demonstrate how the rate of change of one variable (such as voltage or current) affects the rate of change of another variable (such as power or resistance).

3. What is the formula for calculating resistance?

The formula for calculating resistance is R = V/I, where R is the resistance in ohms, V is the voltage in volts, and I is the current in amperes. This formula is known as Ohm's law.

4. How does the resistance of a resistor affect the rate of change of current?

The resistance of a resistor is directly proportional to the rate of change of current. This means that as the resistance increases, the rate of change of current decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can you give an example of a related rates problem involving resistors?

One example of a related rates problem involving resistors is a circuit with a constant voltage source and a resistor connected in series. If the voltage remains constant at 12 volts and the resistance of the resistor is changing at a rate of 2 ohms per second, what is the rate of change of current in the circuit? To solve this problem, you would use the formula I = V/R and differentiate with respect to time to find the rate of change of current.