Calculating Related Rates of a Metal Cube

In summary: Again, your notation is inconsistent. The first equation on this line has x, while the second one has X. Also, in your first line, you used units of km/hr, but in this line you use units of km/hr2. Use consistent units!Your answer is correct, but your units are wrong. It should be something like m/hr, or cm/hr, or km/hr (without the 2).In summary, the conversation discusses two related rate problems. The first problem involves finding the rate at which the volume of a metal cube will increase after 5 hours, given the expansion rate of its side. The conversation also discusses a second problem involving the rate at which the distance from a girl to the top of
max0005

Homework Statement

Dear All,

I am having problems understanding how to deal with related rates. The problem is the following:

A solid 400gm metal cube of size length 10cm expands uniformly when heated. If the length of its side expand at 0.5cm(hr), find the rate at which, after 5 hours, its volume will increase.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I need to know is how the Volume will increase after five hours. Hence:

[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}[/tex]

As

[tex]V=S^3[/tex]

(V = Volume, S = Side, T = Time)

Then

[tex]\frac{dV}{dt} = 3L^2\frac{dS}{dt}[/tex]

Which is equal to

[tex]3L^2*0.5[/tex]

As to find the length of the sides:

[tex]f(S) = 10+0.5(T)[/tex]

Where T is time in hours. However, by substituting values I don't obtain the correct answer. Any help? :(

Physics news on Phys.org
max0005 said:

Homework Statement

Dear All,

I am having problems understanding how to deal with related rates. The problem is the following:

A solid 400gm metal cube of size length 10cm expands uniformly when heated. If the length of its side expand at 0.5cm(hr), find the rate at which, after 5 hours, its volume will increase.
Kind of a nit, but the expansion rate is 0.5 cm per hour, or 0.5 cm/hr.
max0005 said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I need to know is how the Volume will increase after five hours. Hence:

[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}[/tex]

As

[tex]V=S^3[/tex]

(V = Volume, S = Side, T = Time)

Then

[tex]\frac{dV}{dt} = 3L^2\frac{dS}{dt}[/tex]

Which is equal to

[tex]3L^2*0.5[/tex]

As to find the length of the sides:

Where T is time in hours. However, by substituting values I don't obtain the correct answer. Any help? :(

You need to evaluate dV/dt at time t = 5 hours.

This equation is not very helpful:
You have f as a function of S, but S doesn't appear in the formula. The length really is a function of time, so L(t) = 10 + 0.5t.

What is the length of each side at t = 5 hours?

Dear Mark44, thanks for your answer.

I'm sorry, I always mistake terminology and syntax. What I meant is that the length of the sides at time T is 10 (original size) + 0.5 (expansion/hour) * T (number of hours): 10+0.5(T)... Is this correct?

max0005 said:
Dear Mark44, thanks for your answer.

I'm sorry, I always mistake terminology and syntax. What I meant is that the length of the sides at time T is 10 (original size) + 0.5 (expansion/hour) * T (number of hours): 10+0.5(T)... Is this correct?
Yes.

So L(t) = 10 + 0.5t gives the length of a side at time t hours.

Note that t (lower case) is usually used for time, while T (upper case) is usually used for temperature.

So L(5) is 12.5. Therefore I should now substitute values in the equation for [tex]\frac{dV}{dt}[/tex], but doing so returns a wrong answer according to my textbook...

What do you get for dV/dt at t = 5, and what does the textbook give as the answer?

I get about 234, while the book gives 37.5 ..

That's what I get (i.e., your value). Are you sure you have copied the problem correctly? Are you sure that the expansion rate figure is correct? It seems pretty high to me.

Ok, getting that too! :D

Thank you very much! :D

I'd have another question, always on the same type of problem.

A girl approaches a tower 75m high at 5km/hr. At what rate is the distance from the top of the tower changing when she is 50m from the foot of the tower?

What is given is:

[tex]\frac{dX}{dt} = 5km/hr[/tex] )

Where X is the horizontal displacement of the girl. What I need to find is [tex]\frac{dF}{dt}[/tex], where F is the distance from the girl to the top of the tower.

Hence:

[tex]\frac{dF}{dt} = \frac{dX}{dt} * \frac{dF}{dX}[/tex]

What remains to be found is [tex]\frac{dF}{dX}[/tex]:

[tex]\frac{dF}{dX} = \frac{d}{dX}(x^2+75^)[/tex] (Pythagora)

Returning

[tex]\frac{dF}{dX} = 2x[/tex]

Hence

[tex]\frac{dF}{dt} = 5km/hr * 2x[/tex] and, for x=50 (or 0.05km) [tex]\frac{dF}{dt} = 0.05km/hr... Is this correct?

max0005 said:
I'd have another question, always on the same type of problem.

A girl approaches a tower 75m high at 5km/hr. At what rate is the distance from the top of the tower changing when she is 50m from the foot of the tower?

What is given is:

[tex]\frac{dX}{dt} = 5km/hr[/tex]
To keep the books straight, dx/dt = - 5 km/hr. She's getting closer to the tower, so her horizontal distance is decreasing, which means that its derivative is negative.
max0005 said:
Where X is the horizontal displacement of the girl. What I need to find is [tex]\frac{dF}{dt}[/tex], where F is the distance from the girl to the top of the tower.

Hence:

[tex]\frac{dF}{dt} = \frac{dX}{dt} * \frac{dF}{dX}[/tex]

What remains to be found is [tex]\frac{dF}{dX}[/tex]:

[tex]\frac{dF}{dX} = \frac{d}{dX}(x^2+75^)[/tex] (Pythagora)
There's a typo above - I know you intended for there to be an exponent on 75, but you forgot to include it.
[tex]\frac{dF}{dX} = \frac{d}{dX}(x^2+75^2)[/tex] (Pythagoras)

Technically, F as you are using it doesn't represent the distance between her and the top of the tower. It's the square of the distance, so F = D2.

The relationship between the variables is x2 + 752 = D2, so the relationship between the rates is 2x*dx/dt = 2D * dD/dt. You can solve for dD/dt in this equation.
max0005 said:
Returning

[tex]\frac{dF}{dX} = 2x[/tex]
Try to be consistent in your use of upper and lower case letters. Here you are using X and x. In some problems, both cases are used, and if you aren't careful to distinguish between them, you'll definitely get confused.
max0005 said:
Hence

[tex]\frac{dF}{dt} = 5km/hr * 2x[/tex] and, for x=50 (or 0.05km) [tex]\frac{dF}{dt} = 0.05km/hr... Is this correct?

Related to Calculating Related Rates of a Metal Cube

What is the definition of related rates of a metal cube?

Related rates of a metal cube refers to the concept in mathematics and physics where the rate of change of one variable is dependent on the rate of change of another related variable. In the case of a metal cube, this involves tracking the change in dimensions of the cube as it undergoes a physical process.

How are related rates of a metal cube calculated?

The calculation of related rates of a metal cube involves using the chain rule from calculus to find the derivative of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable. This allows for the determination of the rate of change of the dependent variable in terms of the rate of change of the independent variable.

What are some real-life applications of related rates of a metal cube?

Related rates of a metal cube have many practical applications, such as in the manufacturing industry for monitoring the dimensions of metal cubes during production. They are also used in physics to study the expansion and contraction of materials due to temperature changes.

What are the key factors that affect related rates of a metal cube?

The key factors that affect related rates of a metal cube include the dimensions of the cube, the physical process it is undergoing, and the rate of change of the independent variable. Other factors such as temperature and pressure may also play a role in certain situations.

What are some common challenges when dealing with related rates of a metal cube?

One common challenge is accurately determining the relationship between the dependent and independent variables, which is crucial for calculating the related rates. Another challenge is dealing with non-constant rates of change, which may require the use of more advanced mathematical techniques.

Back