Calculating Relative Velocities in Rivers

• Thread starter shawli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relative
In summary: They want you to find the time it takes him to swim that distance.In summary, the swimmer crosses the river in 126.9 seconds and the current is travelling at 0.5 m/s.
shawli

Homework Statement

A swimmer who can swim at a speed of 0.80m/s in still water heads directly across a river 86m wide. The swimmer lands at a position on the far bank 54m downstream from the starting point. Determine

a) the speed of the current

Homework Equations

Given :
speed of swimmer relative to water = 0.80 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to approach this, since I've been given displacements and not velocities. How do I approach a question like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: How long does it take the swimmer to get across the river?

Here it's what I would do:

-You know the width of the river is 86m (axis x) and you know the swimmer swims at 0.8m/s so you can get the time it takes him to cross the river. (I got 107,5s)

-Knowing that it takes him that amount of time and that he covers 54m in that direction, you can get the speed of the current by dividing the space by the time. (I got 0,502 m/s).

Sorry Doc Al, I started to write before you posted your message and I didn't see it.

Using the resulting displacement (Pythagorean theorem, square root of (86^2+54^2)=101.5m), I can find the time it takes for the swimmer to get across the river.

t= 101.5m/ (0,8m/s) = 126.9s.

Then ...the speed of the current can be found using this time, and the horizontal displacement?
so:
v current = 54m / 126.9s
v current = 0.43 m/s?

The answer I'm given at the back of the book is 0.5 m/s ...so I'm not sure !

Ohhhhh, I'm supposed to use the vertical displacement for the swimmers pathway.

Thank you both!

The swimmer is always swimming perpendicular to the river shore direction.

For example let's say the shore is the "axis y".
Displacement:
-axis x: 86m
-axis y: 54m
Velocity:
-axis x: 0,8m/s
-axis y: we have to get it

That distance you calculated is the distance he travels but that isn't what they ask you for.

Related to Calculating Relative Velocities in Rivers

1. How do you calculate relative velocities in rivers?

To calculate relative velocities in rivers, you need to know the velocity of the river and the velocity of the object moving in the river. Then, you can use the relative velocity formula, which is the difference between the two velocities. For example, if the river is flowing at 2 meters per second and the object is moving at 1 meter per second in the same direction, the relative velocity would be 1 meter per second.

2. What factors affect relative velocities in rivers?

The main factors that affect relative velocities in rivers are the velocity of the river, the velocity of the object, and the direction of movement. Other factors such as the size and shape of the object, the depth and width of the river, and the presence of obstacles can also influence relative velocities in rivers.

3. How does the direction of movement impact relative velocities in rivers?

The direction of movement is an important factor in calculating relative velocities in rivers. If the object is moving in the same direction as the river flow, the relative velocity will be lower. However, if the object is moving against the river flow, the relative velocity will be higher. This is because the object is essentially moving against the current, causing a greater difference in velocity.

4. Can relative velocities in rivers be negative?

Yes, relative velocities in rivers can be negative. This occurs when the object is moving in the opposite direction of the river flow. In this case, the relative velocity will be negative because the object's velocity is subtracted from the river's velocity. This indicates that the object is moving slower than the river's flow.

5. How is relative velocity used in studying rivers?

Relative velocity is an important concept in studying rivers as it helps us understand the movement of objects in the river and how it is affected by the river's flow. By calculating relative velocities, scientists can make predictions about the behavior of objects in the river and study the impact of different factors on their movement. This information can be valuable in fields such as hydrology, ecology, and engineering.