Calculating relative velocity -- Jumping between two moving trains

verkamp
Homework Statement
two trains running parallel, same velocity. what happens if I jump from one train to another?
Relevant Equations
Vba = Vb - Va
is it possible?

I've given it quite some thought, and my conclusion was that it would be possible, cuz right after I jump, I'll still have the same velocity in the same direction as the running train?

Physics news on Phys.org
verkamp said:
Homework Statement: two trains running parallel, same velocity. what happens if I jump from one train to another?
Relevant Equations: Vba = Vb - Va

is it possible?

I've given it quite some thought, and my conclusion was that it would be possible, cuz right after I jump, I'll still have the same velocity in the same direction as the running train?
You will have the same velocity but there will be a wind blowing you back at the same velocity. You cannot ignore air resistance in this case, so don't try it.

kuruman said:
You will have the same velocity but there will be a wind blowing you back at the same velocity. You cannot ignore air resistance in this case, so don't try it.
Track separation (center to center) in the U.S. is generally 14 feet minimum (source Michigan DOT department of rail). Passenger rail cars are a bit under 10 feet side to side (source various). So that is about 4.5 feet of train to train gap measured from toe of jumping foot to heel of landing foot. Doable, but not supremely safe.

Watch out for signal posts.

Likes nasu and PeroK
Looks like this experiment has been carried out, at least once...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes jbriggs444 and kuruman

Related to Calculating relative velocity -- Jumping between two moving trains

What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of one object as observed from another moving object. It is calculated by subtracting the velocity vector of one object from the velocity vector of the other.

How do you calculate the relative velocity between two moving trains?

To calculate the relative velocity between two moving trains, you subtract the velocity vector of one train from the velocity vector of the other. If Train A is moving with velocity \( v_A \) and Train B is moving with velocity \( v_B \), the relative velocity of Train B with respect to Train A is \( v_{BA} = v_B - v_A \).

What factors should be considered when jumping between two moving trains?

When jumping between two moving trains, consider the relative velocity between the trains, the distance between them, wind resistance, your own jumping capability, and safety measures. Ensure the relative velocity is manageable and that you have a secure landing spot.

How does the direction of the trains affect the relative velocity calculation?

The direction of the trains significantly affects the relative velocity calculation. If the trains are moving in the same direction, you subtract their velocities. If they are moving in opposite directions, you add their velocities to find the relative velocity.

Can you provide an example of calculating relative velocity for two trains moving at different speeds?

Sure! Suppose Train A is moving east at 60 km/h and Train B is moving east at 80 km/h. The relative velocity of Train B with respect to Train A is \( v_{BA} = 80 \text{ km/h} - 60 \text{ km/h} = 20 \text{ km/h} \) east. If Train A is moving east at 60 km/h and Train B is moving west at 80 km/h, the relative velocity is \( v_{BA} = 80 \text{ km/h} + 60 \text{ km/h} = 140 \text{ km/h} \).