Calculating Relative Velocity of Grenade in Moving Vehicles

In summary, the problem involves a hero throwing a grenade at an enemy's car while both cars are moving. The initial velocity of the grenade, at an angle of 45 degrees above the horizontal, needs to be determined. The distance between the two cars, as well as their velocities, are also given.
anubis01

Homework Statement

In an action-adventure film, the hero is supposed to throw a grenade from his car, which is going 91.0 km/h, to his enemy's car, which is going 106 km/h. The enemy's car is 14.5 m in front of the hero's when he let's go of the grenade.

a)If the hero throws the grenade so its initial velocity relative to him is at an angle of 45 above the horizontal, what should the magnitude of the initial velocity be?

b)Find the magnitude of the velocity relative to the earth.

Homework Equations

Vh/r=90 km/h
Ven/r=110 km/h
Vh/En=??

The Attempt at a Solution

a)I have no real idea on how to proceed with this problem. The real thing that is confusing me is the inclusion of the 14.5m and it can be used in calculating the initial velocity.

Any help is as always much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
anubis01 said:
The real thing that is confusing me is the inclusion of the 14.5m and it can be used in calculating the initial velocity.

Hi anubis01! :smile:

You need to use x1 for one car and x2 for the other car, and x1(0) = 0 while x2(0) = 14.5. :wink:

ah I see, I get it now. Thank you for the help.

FAQ: Calculating Relative Velocity of Grenade in Moving Vehicles

1. What is relative velocity of a grenade?

The relative velocity of a grenade refers to the speed at which the grenade is traveling in relation to the observer or its surroundings. It takes into account the velocity of the grenade itself and any other factors, such as wind or gravity, that may affect its movement.

2. How is the relative velocity of a grenade calculated?

The relative velocity of a grenade can be calculated using basic physics principles. It involves measuring the initial velocity of the grenade, taking into account any external forces acting upon it, and then factoring in the velocity of the observer or surroundings.

3. Why is understanding the relative velocity of a grenade important?

Understanding the relative velocity of a grenade is crucial in order to accurately predict its trajectory and potential impact. This information is essential for military personnel and bomb disposal experts who need to safely handle and disarm grenades.

4. How does the relative velocity of a grenade differ from its absolute velocity?

The absolute velocity of a grenade refers to its speed and direction in relation to a fixed reference point, such as the ground. The relative velocity takes into account the movement of the observer or surroundings, making it a more accurate measure of the grenade's speed and direction.

5. Can the relative velocity of a grenade change during its flight?

Yes, the relative velocity of a grenade can change during its flight due to external forces such as wind or gravity. These factors can alter the speed and direction of the grenade, making it important to continuously monitor and adjust the trajectory of the grenade, if possible.

Back