Calculating Relativistic Rocket Performance

In summary, the conversation discusses the relativistic version of Tsiolkovsky rocket equation and how to incorporate the conversion of fuel mass into energy into the equation. The concept of specific impulse is also mentioned, with the example of a self-fueled laser being a classical rocket. It is concluded that the specific impulse of a photon drive is about 30 million seconds.
trilex1
Hello there

I've been looking at this page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_rocket

at the relativistic version of Tsiolkovsky rocket equation, but something puzzles me

With chemical rockets, the mass that is being converted into energy is so tiny that almost
all fuel mass can be considered to end up as propellant, but when we are talking about relativistic speeds, the energy requirements are so high that a major portion of fuel would end up being converted to energy.

What puzzles me is how to incorporate this into this equation.

For example, if 80% of the rocket mass was fuel, and there was, say a fusion process, and the product was propellant with kinetic energy equal to matter that was converted into energy how would you incorporate this into the equation? Because now, not all of the fuel mass is propellant, and yet there was indeed a loss in ships mass (which was converted into kinetic energy)
Any ideas?

Perhaps my assumptions about the equation are wrong.
I assumed that the mass ratios are just reaction mass vs. total mass, and have nothing to do with that portion of mass that is converted into energy

Physics news on Phys.org
The wikipedia page you cite talks about this in some detail - have you looked at it closely?

What's important is (as the page says) the amount of momentum you get when you utilize one unit (say 1kg) of fuel. This is known as "specific impulse".

Now this is embarrassing

I did actually read the whole page, and entered everything into matlab, to get some nice curves out, and then started getting strange results, actually I was getting out complex numbers, lol, so I thought maybe I didn't understand the equation right, which is why I started this thread.

Either way, it works fine now after I double checked it

thanks

I hope this thread doesn't end up as useless

But just so this thread doesn't go to waste, I'm going to ask, this this equation still hold if your "exhaust" is in form of radiation?
In other words, can a self-fueled laser be a classical rocket.
I know radiation has momentum, but I'm just wondering if there is a catch

The specific impulse of a photon / laser exhaust is 1 in geometric (relativistic) units. In meters/second, it's just 'c'. You might also see this as 3*10^8 netwon seconds / kg.

Sometimes you see specific impulse in seconds as the Wikipedia article mentions, you have to multiply the figure in seconds by the acceleration of gravity in m/s^2, i.e by 9.8 m/s^2, to convert this to the correct units of velocity. Thus the specific impulse of a photon drive would be about 30 million seconds (354 days, about 1 year).

Related to Calculating Relativistic Rocket Performance

1. What is a relativistic rocket?

A relativistic rocket is a hypothetical spacecraft that can travel close to the speed of light. It is based on the principles of Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers moving at a constant velocity.

2. How does a relativistic rocket work?

A relativistic rocket works by using a powerful energy source, such as nuclear fusion or antimatter, to accelerate the spacecraft to near-light speeds. The higher the speed, the more time dilation occurs, allowing the spacecraft to travel long distances in a shorter amount of time from the perspective of the travelers on board.

3. Is it possible to build a relativistic rocket?

Currently, it is not possible to build a relativistic rocket with our current technology. The amount of energy and resources required to achieve near-light speeds is beyond our capabilities. However, scientists are constantly researching and developing new technologies that could make it possible in the future.

4. What are the potential benefits of a relativistic rocket?

A relativistic rocket could potentially allow us to explore and colonize distant planets and stars, as well as travel to other galaxies. It could also open up new possibilities for space tourism and commercial space travel.

5. Are there any potential downsides to using a relativistic rocket?

There are several potential downsides to using a relativistic rocket, such as the immense amount of energy and resources required to build and operate one. Additionally, the high speeds and time dilation effects could have unforeseen consequences on the human body, potentially leading to health issues for the travelers on board.

Back