Calculating Required Surface Charge Density for a Cylinder

In summary, the problem involves a long straight wire with a linear charge density of 3.6nC/m that is enclosed by a thin, non-conducting cylinder with a positive surface charge density \sigma. The goal is to find the required \sigma value that will result in a net external electric field of zero. This can be done by applying Gauss's Law and using a gaussian surface, such as another cylinder, and setting the condition that the integral of the electric field over the surface is equal to zero. By solving for \sigma in the equation E=\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}, the required value can be found.
suspenc3

Homework Statement

A long, straight wire has a linear charge density of magnitude 3.6nC/m. The wire is to be enclosed by a thin, no-conducting cylinder of ouside radius 1.5cm, coaxil witht he wire. The cylinder is to have positive charge on its outside surface with a surface charge density [tex]\sigma[/tex] such that the net external electric field is zero. Calculate the required [tex]\sigma[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]E=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi \epsilon_0 r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The electric field can be found, but then how do I go about finding the required [tex]\sigma[/tex] value?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, misread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats what it sayss...

The wire has obviously negative charge. Hasn't it?
Apply Gauss's Law, to a gaussian surface, I recommend you to use another cylinder, and put the condition that:

[tex]\oint E\cdot dS=0[/tex]

Im still confused

The total field is zero right? It is due to a superposition of the field from the wire and the field from the cylindrical shell.

So Do I just find an electric field for the gaussian surface that when summed with the electric field already found wll equal zero?

not sure what exactly you mean there

Since the total electrical field is 0, and I can find [tex]E=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi \epsilon_0 r}[/tex], can't I just find [tex]E=\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

and then [tex]\frac{\lambda}{2\pi \epsilon_0 r} = -\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}[/tex] and then solve for [tex]\sigma[/tex]

Sorry if this make no sense, I don't really understand this stuff.

FAQ: Calculating Required Surface Charge Density for a Cylinder

1. How is the required surface charge density for a cylinder calculated?

The required surface charge density for a cylinder can be calculated by dividing the total charge on the cylinder by the surface area of the cylinder. This can be expressed mathematically as σ = Q/A, where σ is the surface charge density, Q is the total charge, and A is the surface area.

2. What is the unit of measurement for surface charge density?

The unit of measurement for surface charge density is typically coulombs per square meter (C/m²). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as coulombs per square centimeter (C/cm²) or coulombs per square millimeter (C/mm²).

3. How does the surface charge density affect the electric field around a cylinder?

The surface charge density affects the electric field around a cylinder by influencing the strength and direction of the electric field lines. A higher surface charge density will result in a stronger electric field, while a lower surface charge density will result in a weaker electric field.

4. What factors can affect the required surface charge density for a cylinder?

The required surface charge density for a cylinder can be affected by several factors, including the geometry of the cylinder (such as its radius and length), the material of the cylinder, and the surrounding electric field. Additionally, the desired strength and direction of the electric field around the cylinder may also impact the required surface charge density.

5. Can the required surface charge density for a cylinder change over time?

Yes, the required surface charge density for a cylinder can change over time. This can occur due to factors such as the movement of charge on the cylinder's surface, changes in the surrounding electric field, or changes in the properties of the cylinder itself. It is important to regularly recalculate the required surface charge density to ensure accurate results.

Back