Calculating Resistance and Inductance of Coil in AC Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a wire coil connected to an AC power supply with a frequency of 80Hz and voltage of 180V, drawing 0.4A current and 18W power. The coil has both resistance and inductance, and the circuit consists of a single loop. The objectives are to calculate the inductance and resistance of the coil, plot the vector of impedance at 50Hz, determine the optimum capacitance to maximize current and power, and calculate the new current and power once the capacitance is added. The equations used are P/I^2=R, XL=V/I, L=XL/2*pi*f, Z=sqrt(R^2+XL^2), XC=V/I
Squeeky21
1. Homework Statement .
A wire coil has both resistance and inductance, and is connected in series to an AC power supply with 80Hz and 180V, drawing 0.4A current and 18W power. The circuit consists of a single loop.
1. Calculate the inductance and resistance of coil
2. Plot vector of impedance of coil at 50Hz in the impedance place
3. A capacitor is added to the circuit. What capacitance would maximize the current and power delivered to the coil?
4. What will the new current and power be once the capacitance of part 3 is added?

2. Homework Equations
P/I^2=R
XL=V/I
L=XL/2*pi*f
Z=sqrt(R^2+XL^2)
XC=V/I
C=1/(2*∏*f*XC)

3. The Attempt at a Solution .
I found P/I^2=R--> 18W/.4A^2=112.5ohms.
Then I found XL=V/I-->170V/.4A=425ohms.
Then I found L=XL/2*pi*f-->425ohms/(2*pi*60Hz)=1.23H.
Next, using Z=sqrt(R^2+XL^2), I got sqrt(112.5^2+425^2)=439.637 oms.
Next, I have V/I=XC-->170V/.4A=425Ω.
Next, C=1/(2*∏*f*XC) -->1/(2*∏*60Hz*425Ω)=6.24*10^-6F.
I feel I am off somewhere, but I am not sure where.
I also am not sure how to recalculate for power and current because I keep getting my original values.
I feel I made an error somewhere, but I am not sure where.
I am also still confused as to what happens when I add the capacitor.

Physics news on Phys.org

Squeeky21 said:
1. Homework Statement .
A wire coil has both resistance and inductance, and is connected in series to an AC power supply with 80Hz and 180V, drawing 0.4A current and 18W power. The circuit consists of a single loop.
1. Calculate the inductance and resistance of coil
2. Plot vector of impedance of coil at 50Hz in the impedance place
3. A capacitor is added to the circuit. What capacitance would maximize the current and power delivered to the coil?
4. What will the new current and power be once the capacitance of part 3 is added?

2. Homework Equations
P/I^2=R
XL=V/I
L=XL/2*pi*f
Z=sqrt(R^2+XL^2)
XC=V/I
C=1/(2*∏*f*XC)

3. The Attempt at a Solution .
I found P/I^2=R--> 18W/.4A^2=112.5ohms.
Then I found XL=V/I-->170V/.4A=425ohms.
Where did the 170V come from?

If the supply voltage is E = 180V, then you would expect the magnitude of the current to be given by:
$$ |I| = \frac{E}{\sqrt{R^2 + XL^2}} $$
Go from there.
I am also still confused as to what happens when I add the capacitor.
The capacitor reactance acts to cancel the inductive reactance (bringing the power factor towards unity). How do reactances XL and XC combine arithmetically?

Thank you. I finally got this one, I think. Z=sqrt(R^2+(XL-XC)^2) correct?

Squeeky21 said:
Thank you. I finally got this one, I think. Z=sqrt(R^2+(XL-XC)^2) correct?

Yup. Carry on :smile:

I would first commend the student for their attempt at solving the problem and using the appropriate equations. However, there are a few errors that need to be addressed.

To calculate the inductance, the formula should be L=XL/(2*pi*f), not XL/2*pi*f.

Also, the value of frequency given in the problem is 80Hz, not 60Hz. So the calculations for inductance and reactance should be based on 80Hz, not 60Hz.

For part 3, the question asks for the capacitance that would maximize the current and power delivered to the coil. In order to maximize the power, the capacitor should be chosen such that the reactance (XC) and resistance (R) are equal in magnitude. This can be achieved by setting XC=XL, which gives XC=XL=425Ω. Using the formula C=1/(2*pi*f*XC), we can solve for the capacitance which comes out to be 3.73*10^-6F.

For part 4, once the capacitance is added, the new impedance of the circuit can be calculated using the formula Z=sqrt(R^2+(XL-XC)^2). This will give a new value of impedance which can be used to calculate the new current and power using the formulas P=I^2*R and I=V/Z.

Overall, the approach taken by the student is correct but there are some mistakes in the calculations and interpretation of the problem. It is important to carefully read and understand the given information in order to solve the problem accurately.

Related to Calculating Resistance and Inductance of Coil in AC Circuit

1. How do you calculate resistance in an AC circuit?

To calculate resistance in an AC circuit, you need to use Ohm's Law which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). This formula can be represented as R = V/I. To calculate resistance, you will need to know the voltage and current values in the circuit.

2. What is the unit of measurement for resistance?

The unit of measurement for resistance is Ohms (Ω), named after the German physicist Georg Ohm. One Ohm is equivalent to one volt per ampere (V/A).

3. How do you calculate inductance in an AC circuit?

To calculate inductance in an AC circuit, you will need to use the formula L = (V/XL)/2πf, where L represents inductance, V is the voltage, XL is the inductive reactance, and f is the frequency of the AC current. Inductive reactance is determined by the formula XL = 2πfL, where L is the inductance and f is the frequency.

4. What is the difference between resistance and inductance?

Resistance is the opposition to the flow of electric current, while inductance is the property of an electrical conductor that causes it to produce an electromotive force (EMF) when there is a change in the current flowing through it. In simpler terms, resistance limits the flow of current, while inductance creates a counter EMF in response to changes in current.

5. How does the frequency of the AC circuit affect the resistance and inductance of a coil?

The frequency of an AC circuit affects the resistance and inductance of a coil because it directly impacts the inductive reactance (XL) and the resistance (R) in the circuit. As the frequency increases, the inductive reactance also increases, while the resistance remains constant. This means that the overall impedance (Z) of the circuit, which is the combination of resistance and inductive reactance, also increases. Therefore, the higher the frequency, the higher the overall impedance of the circuit.