Calculating Resistance in a Circuit

In summary, to find the two values of resistance R that will result in a power dissipation of 80 W, we need to first find the current in the circuit using Ohm's Law. Then, we can use this current in the power equation to solve for R.
Cornfused

Homework Statement

A resistor with resistance R is connected to a battery that has emf 12.0 V and internal resistance r=0.40 ohms. For what two values of R will the power dissipated in the resistor be 80.0 W?

P=80 W
r=0.40 ohms
EMF=12V
Find R

Homework Equations

P=VI, = I^2R = V^2/R
V= EMF - Ir
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to find resistance R of the resistor. But I can't seem to find the current I, which I need to find V, so that I can find R. I have tried rearranging the equations all manner of ways and can't seem to figure it out.

The other issue is how the question asks to find the two values of R. I assume that for there to be two values that somehow R has to be squared so that you have the same number, just positive and negative. That is my best guess at the moment.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was reworking it and wanted to know if this was valid.

P=EMF*I - I^2r

I used I^2r = P to get

P = EMF*I - P ----> P+P = EMF*I ----> 2P/EMF = I

I know P = I^2R but wasn't sure if I could do the same with P = I^2r

First find an expression for the current in the circuit. It's a series circuit consisting of the 12V EMF, internal resistance 0.40 Ohms, and resistance R, so what is the current?

Next plug that expression for the current into your expression for dissipated power, P = I2*R. Solve for R.

FAQ: Calculating Resistance in a Circuit

1. How do I calculate resistance in a circuit?

The formula for calculating resistance in a circuit is R = V/I, where R is resistance, V is voltage, and I is current. You can also use Ohm's Law (V = IR) to calculate resistance if you know the voltage and current in the circuit.

2. What is the unit of measurement for resistance?

The unit of measurement for resistance is the ohm (Ω). This represents the amount of resistance that will allow one ampere of current to flow when one volt of potential difference is applied.

3. How do I calculate total resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is the sum of all individual resistances. So, if you have three resistors with values of 10Ω, 20Ω, and 30Ω, the total resistance would be 60Ω (10Ω + 20Ω + 30Ω).

4. How do I calculate total resistance in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances. This means that the total resistance will always be less than the smallest individual resistance in the circuit.

5. Can I use a multimeter to measure resistance in a circuit?

Yes, a multimeter can be used to measure resistance in a circuit. Set the multimeter to the resistance (ohms) setting and connect the probes to the circuit. The multimeter will display the resistance value in ohms.