Calculating Resonant Tank Values for a Clapp Oscillator

• Thread starter greg997
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscillator
In summary, the Clapp oscillator uses a capacitor in series with the coil to set the resonant frequency. The values of L, C1, C2, and Cs have to be calculated to get a resonant frequency of around 3 MHz.
greg997
Hi can anybody explain to me how to calculate values for the resonant tank of the clapp oscillator. I know that capacitor in series with inductor sets the frequency. But I ve read that formula 1/Ceq = 1/c1+1/c2+ 1/cs, should be used to get Ceq which should be used for frequency setting. So what values of L, C1, C2, and Cs have i got to use to get like 3 MHz. I also know that Cs has to be much smaller then C1 and C2, much smaller means like 100 times?
What values of C1 and C2 to use?
I tried to make it work in multisim and included the diagram. Is it connected properly, the feedback goes from between thes tow capacitors? the Thank you

Attachments

• clapp.jpg
    clapp.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 815
Physics news on Phys.org
The capacitor in series with the coil should not be there as the coil has to carry DC current for the transistor. Capacitors do not conduct DC current.

As a ball-park figure, I would calculate the size of inductor and total capacitance to have a reactance of 200 ohms at the required frequency. This is arbitrary, but gives a starting point.

In this case L = 11 µH and C = 265 pF should resonate around 3 MHz.

C should consist of two capacitors in series where one is twice the size of the other. The larger one would be the top one in your diagram.

The emitter resistor seems a bit high, but you can juggle that when you simulate it. Try for a current of about 10 mA.

Hi again:)
In clapp oscillator the capacitor has to be in series with inductor. They set the resonant frequency, but the purpose of other two capacitor is unknown to me. And in my previous diagram i did not put RFchoke. I attched a diagram of clapp oscillator found on the internet.
The probelm i have is to what steps I should take in order to have frequency like 3 MHz using my first diagram.
Do you think you could try creating a model in spice and see if it works? All i got is nearly stedy value equal supply voltage. Thank you

Attachments

• clapp 2.jpg
    clapp 2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,189
That 100 nF variable capacitor CT should probably be 100 pF. Try that.

This is not the normal Clapp oscillator circuit. Normally, the coil and capacitors are on the base side of a transistor (or the gate side of a FET) and they are between the base and emitter (or gate and source of a FET).

It is usually like this, if you ignore the component values and everything to the right of the oscillator:

2k.gif

All the capacitors are in series across the coil so they all have to be considered when working out the resonance frequency.

Do not forget that the transistor DC operating voltages must be OK before this or any other circuit will work. So zero volts or 15 volts on the emitter would be unacceptable.

The inductor marked RFC in your diagram could be modeled with 1 mH.

This is the classic Clapp oscillator:

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/Clapp%20Oscillator%20BJT.PNG

It seems to model OK in LTSpice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Hi, thanks for that spice model and explanations. That really helped. I think I managed to create a correct model in Multisim. Thanks again.

Related to Calculating Resonant Tank Values for a Clapp Oscillator

1. What is a Clapp oscillator?

A Clapp oscillator is a type of electronic oscillator circuit that is used to generate a stable and precise frequency signal. It is commonly used in radio frequency (RF) applications, such as in radio transmitters and receivers.

2. What is the Clapp oscillator problem?

The Clapp oscillator problem refers to a common issue that can arise when designing and using a Clapp oscillator circuit. This problem occurs when the oscillator's frequency becomes unstable or shifts over time, affecting the accuracy and reliability of the circuit.

3. What causes the Clapp oscillator problem?

The Clapp oscillator problem is mainly caused by variations in the circuit components, such as the values of the capacitors and inductors, which can change due to temperature fluctuations or aging. These variations can affect the oscillator's feedback loop and lead to frequency instability.

4. How can the Clapp oscillator problem be solved?

There are several methods to solve the Clapp oscillator problem, including using high-quality and stable components, implementing temperature compensation techniques, and using feedback control circuits to stabilize the oscillator's frequency. Proper circuit design and testing can also help identify and eliminate potential causes of instability.

5. What are some applications of a Clapp oscillator?

A Clapp oscillator is commonly used in various RF applications, such as wireless communication systems, radar systems, and electronic test equipment. It is also used in frequency synthesizers, which are used to generate stable and precise signals in electronic devices.