Calculating Resultant Force: Understanding the Error

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnitude of force F based on the given resultant force FR and vector F1. The speaker initially gets a correct answer of 789lbs, but later realizes that they made a mistake in unit conversion. They also discuss the process of obtaining the x and y components of vector F1.
Luongo
1. If the resultant force acting on the hook is FR = <-180, 810, 180> what is the magnitude of F?

2. So basically i got F1 which is <240,416,-360> and subtracted this from FR and got vector F2 then i took the square of the components and square rooted getting 789lb. Why is this wrong? what am i doing wrong?

3. Please tell me why i got the wrong answer it should be right

Attachments

• Probs.2-71_72.jpg
    Probs.2-71_72.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 409
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Luongo! :smile:

I get 789 also. :redface:

(Are you sure it's 810 for FRy? It doesn't look like that in the diagram)

Luongo said:
1. If the resultant force acting on the hook is FR = <-180, 810, 180> what is the magnitude of F?

2. So basically i got F1 which is <240,416,-360> and subtracted this from FR and got vector F2 then i took the square of the components and square rooted getting 789lb. Why is this wrong? what am i doing wrong?

Tell us how'd you get F1_x and F1_y!? :rolleyes:

Altabeh said:
Tell us how'd you get F1_x and F1_y!? :rolleyes:

to get those two i got F' which is the angle perp to the F1_z component then used that as a coefficient

tiny-tim said:
Hi Luongo! :smile:

I get 789 also. :redface:

(Are you sure it's 810 for FRy? It doesn't look like that in the diagram)

Yes it's right, i got the units wrong...? DAMN MASTERING PHYSICS! crap... lol

Related to Calculating Resultant Force: Understanding the Error

1. What is resultant force?

Resultant force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction. It is calculated by adding together all the individual forces acting on the object.

2. Why is it important to calculate resultant force accurately?

Accurately calculating resultant force is crucial in understanding the overall effect of multiple forces on an object. It allows us to predict the motion and behavior of objects, and make informed decisions in engineering and physics applications.

3. What are common sources of error when calculating resultant force?

Some common sources of error include measurement errors, rounding errors, and incorrect consideration of vector components. Additionally, human error and equipment limitations can also contribute to errors in resultant force calculations.

4. How can we minimize error when calculating resultant force?

To minimize error, it is important to use accurate and precise measurements and to properly account for vector components. Double-checking calculations and using multiple methods of calculation can also help minimize errors.

5. How can we troubleshoot errors in resultant force calculations?

If an error is detected in resultant force calculations, it is important to carefully review each step of the calculation to identify the source of the error. Checking for incorrect units, rounding errors, or missing forces can help troubleshoot and correct errors.

Back