Calculating RF Power: dBm-Volt-Watt Conversion

• Thread starter cyclone24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power Rf
In summary, the RF power in watts is calculated by multiplying the voltage by the power in watts per millivolt.
cyclone24
Hello

I have a basic question about the decibel -voltage - watt conversion.

I am calculating pulsed RF power on the scope. The setup involved an RF transmitter connected to one end of an attenuator. The other end is connected to the scope. Sure I used 100 dB attenuator first and decreased the attenuation from 100 dB to 60 dB (or applied 40 dB) until I see the RF peaks on the scope.

Now I measured the pk-pk RF wave on the scope and it is 130 millivolts. So from here how should I calculate the power in watts?

HInt: 60 dBm = 1000 watts; P = V^2/R; R = 50 ohms...?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the scope doesn't have a 50 ohm input impedance, you should terminate at a 50 ohm load and then measure voltage across it.

Thank you.

I already did that. So how do I convert the voltage value (in mV) in watts? Or how do I define the RF power here? guess I am putting it in a crude way...

Once you measure the rms voltage across the load, you can use this formula: P = V^2/R to calculate power in watts.

If you want that in dBm, note that 0 dBm is referenced to 1 mW

P_dbm = 10 log(base 10) (P/1mW)

Start with the voltage and convert it to RMS

So, that is (130 mV p-p / 2*√2) or 0.046 volts RMS

That is E ^ 2 / R or (0.046* 0.046 / 50) or 42.5 microwatts.

You have 60 dB of attenuation ( I think that's what you said).

So, 60 dB = 10 log ( actual power / 0.0000425)

actual power / 0.0000425 = 1000000

actual power = 42.5 watts

vk6kro and waht, thank you for that explanation. It is now clear.

Just curious, Vrms is usually = Vpk/(sqrt(2)). Why did you divide by another 2 in the equation?

The RF here is a sinc wave.

Thanks

cyclone24 said:
Just curious, Vrms is usually = Vpk/(sqrt(2)). Why did you divide by another 2 in the equation?

Because initially you measured voltage in Vpp. To get it in Vp you have to divide it by two. Then you use Vp to convert to Vrms.

That was dumb. Thanks!

Related to Calculating RF Power: dBm-Volt-Watt Conversion

1. What is RF power and why is it important?

RF power refers to the amount of power being transmitted in a radio frequency signal. It is important because it determines the strength and range of the signal, and affects the quality of communication and data transmission.

2. What is dBm and how is it related to RF power?

dBm (decibel-milliwatt) is a unit of measurement for RF power that expresses the power ratio in decibels (dB) with reference to one milliwatt (mW). It is commonly used to represent the strength of a signal and is directly related to the actual power output of a device.

3. How do you convert between dBm, volts, and watts?

To convert from dBm to watts, you can use the formula P (watts) = 10^(dBm/10). To convert from dBm to volts, you can use the formula V (volts) = √(P (watts) * R (ohms)), where R is the impedance of the circuit. To convert from watts to volts, you can use the formula V (volts) = √(P (watts) * R (ohms)).

4. What is the relationship between dBm and millivolts?

There is a direct relationship between dBm and millivolts (mV) - an increase of 3 dBm is equivalent to a doubling of mV. For example, 0 dBm is equivalent to 1 mV, 3 dBm is equivalent to 2 mV, and so on.

5. How can I measure RF power accurately?

To measure RF power accurately, you will need a power meter or spectrum analyzer that is calibrated for the specific frequency and power range you are working with. It is important to follow the proper calibration procedures and use appropriate measurement techniques to ensure accurate results.