Calculating Sampling Rate of Sinc Signals - Nyquist Rate

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of calculating sampling rates for signals, specifically sinc(200pi t) and sinc(200πt)*sinc2(400πt). It is mentioned that the sampling rate should be twice as fast as the highest frequency expected to be seen, with the added bandwidths of multiplied signals. However, there is a discrepancy with the example of 10cos3(2π102t), where the sampling frequency is 400 Hz. The conversation ends with a reference to a problem set that may provide further clarification on the topic.
Bijay
I have tried calculating sampling rates for signals like sinc(200pi t). It was simple and I thought I understood until I cam across signals like sinc(200πt)*sinc2(400πt).

I need help with finding sampling rate of these kind of signals and get a clear concept on the topic.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to sample twice as fast as the highest frequency you expect to see. You also have multiplication of signals which makes their bandwidths add. So, in this case, I think you have to sample at ##2\left( 200\pi + 400\pi + 400\pi\right) = 2000\pi ##rad/s, or 1000 Hz.

Last edited:
Likes Bijay
Here is a problem set with solutions that may help.

http://www.ee.columbia.edu/~mvp/e3801/hwk8_sols.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
CopyOfA said:
You need to sample twice as fast as the highest frequency you expect to see. You also have multiplication of signals which makes their bandwidths add. So, in this case, I think you have to sample at ##2\left( 200\pi + 400\pi + 400\pi\right) = 2000\pi ##rad/s, or 1000 Hz.
But the adding of frequencies didnt worked for 10cos3 (2π102t). For this signal the sampling frequency is 400 hz

Bijay said:
But the adding of frequencies didnt worked for 10cos3 (2π102t). For this signal the sampling frequency is 400 hz
Who is more likely to be wrong - Nyquist or the guy who wrote the answer to the set problem? I guess that is what you are quoting, here. The answer in the book must be to another problem (quite possible). What answer did you get, btw?
There are examples when sub-nyquist sampling can work without impairment but this is not one of them.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/do-not-post-homework-or-coursework-questions-here-in-the-ee-forum.224442/

Related to Calculating Sampling Rate of Sinc Signals - Nyquist Rate

What is the Nyquist rate?

The Nyquist rate, also known as the Nyquist frequency, is the minimum sampling rate required to accurately represent a signal without losing any information. It is defined as twice the highest frequency component in the signal.

How do you calculate the Nyquist rate?

To calculate the Nyquist rate, you must first determine the highest frequency component in the signal. Then, multiply this frequency by two to get the Nyquist rate. For example, if the highest frequency in the signal is 1000 Hz, the Nyquist rate would be 2000 Hz.

What is the relationship between the Nyquist rate and the sampling rate?

The Nyquist rate is directly related to the sampling rate. The sampling rate must be equal to or greater than the Nyquist rate in order to accurately represent a signal. If the sampling rate is lower than the Nyquist rate, aliasing will occur and the signal will be distorted.

What is the purpose of calculating the Nyquist rate?

The purpose of calculating the Nyquist rate is to ensure that a signal is accurately represented when it is sampled. If the Nyquist rate is not met, the signal will be distorted and important information may be lost. By calculating the Nyquist rate, we can determine the minimum sampling rate needed to avoid these issues.

Can the Nyquist rate be exceeded?

Yes, the Nyquist rate can be exceeded. In fact, in many practical applications, the sampling rate is chosen to be higher than the Nyquist rate to ensure a more accurate representation of the signal. However, the Nyquist rate should never be lower than the highest frequency component in the signal.