Calculating satellite's angular speed at perihelion

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the angular speed of a satellite in elliptical orbit around a planet. The equations used included Kepler's third law and conservation of angular momentum. The satellite's angular speed at perihelion was found to be 9.29 x 10^-5 rad/s.
mm2424

Homework Statement

A satellite is in elliptical orbit with a period of 8.00 x 10^4 s about a planet of mass 7.00 x 10^24 kg. At aphelion, at radius 4.5 x 10^7 m, the satellite's angular speed is 7.158 x 10^-5 rad/s. What is its angular speed at perihelion?

Homework Equations

V(orbital) = sqrt(GM/R)

T=2∏sqrt(R^3/GM)

V=ωr

The Attempt at a Solution

I used Kepler's 3rd law to find the semimajor axis of the satellite:

T=2∏sqrt(R^3/GM)
8.00 x 10^4 s = 2∏sqrt(R^3/(6.67 x 10^.11)(7 x 10^24 kg))

and found that the semimajor axis (R) is 4.23 x 10^7 m

I then reasoned that twice the semimajor axis minus the aphelion distance = the perihelion distance, so

2(4.23 x 10^7 m) - 4.5 x 10^7 m = perihelion distance

Perihelion distance (r) = 3.96 x 10^7 m

I then used the value of the radius at perihelion (r) in the V(orbital) = sqrt(GM/r) expression and found:

V(orbital) = sqrt[((6.67 x 10^-11)(7 x 10^24 kg))/(3.96 x 10^7 m)]
V(orbital) = 3433.65 m/s

I then plugged this into V=ωr:

3433.65 m/s = ω x 3.96 x 10^7 m
ω = 8.67 x 10^-5 rad/s

However, the answer should be 9.29 x 10^-5 rad/s. My answer key shows that the conservation of angular momentum was used to find the answer. However, I don't see why my approach doesn't also work. It seems to yield a similar answer, but just far off enough to make me think that the approach is flawed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you used V(orbital) = sqrt(GM/R) is valid for R as the radius of curvature, which is equal to the radius of orbit only for circular motion.

Use conservation of momentum.

ehild

Ok, will do. Thanks!

Related to Calculating satellite's angular speed at perihelion

1. What is the formula for calculating a satellite's angular speed at perihelion?

The formula for calculating a satellite's angular speed at perihelion is: ω = √(G * M / r3), where ω is the angular speed in radians per second, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the central body, and r is the distance between the satellite and the central body at perihelion.

2. What is the unit of measurement for a satellite's angular speed at perihelion?

The unit of measurement for a satellite's angular speed at perihelion is radians per second (rad/s). This unit represents the change in angular position of the satellite in one second at perihelion.

3. How does the mass of the central body affect a satellite's angular speed at perihelion?

The mass of the central body has a direct impact on a satellite's angular speed at perihelion. According to the formula, as the mass of the central body increases, the angular speed of the satellite also increases. This is because the gravitational force between the satellite and the central body increases, resulting in a faster orbital speed.

4. What is the significance of calculating a satellite's angular speed at perihelion?

Calculating a satellite's angular speed at perihelion is important for understanding and predicting its orbital motion. This information is essential for satellite engineers and scientists to accurately plan and control the movement of satellites in space.

5. Can a satellite's angular speed at perihelion change over time?

Yes, a satellite's angular speed at perihelion can change over time due to various factors such as changes in the mass of the central body, external forces acting on the satellite, and gravitational interactions with other celestial bodies. However, for a circular orbit, the angular speed at perihelion will remain constant.