Calculating SCUBA Depth with Exhaled Air and Terminal Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using exhaled air and timing to estimate depth while scuba diving. The speaker also mentions the difficulty of observing bubbles at deeper depths and suggests researching the relationship between bubble size and depth. They also question the reliability of using lung volume to measure depth and suggest finding an algorithm similar to dropping a rock to estimate depth. The conversation ends with a resource being shared that discusses the concept of terminal velocity in fluids.
Dr. Surgery
So if you were scuba diving and your depth gauge broke, could you create a system where you exhale some air and record the time it took to reach the surface. If so, what would they equation look like?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr. Surgery said:
So if you were scuba diving and your depth gauge broke, could you create a system where you exhale some air and record the time it took to reach the surface. If so, what would they equation look like?
Fun question. But first of all, when I'm scuba diving, it's hard for me to see my bubbles all the way to the surface. And second of all, we prefer for posters to show some effort in their questions -- what have you found in your reading about this question? :smile:

Maybe the size of the bubbles may be a rough indicator of the depth.
Have you observed a difference in the average size as you go deeper?

While you may be able to observe the difference of the mass of the gas of the bubbles, wouldn´t the volume be the same because it is about how your lungs(Constant volume) will hold at a given depth/pressure, and I am not sure how reliable it would be to measure it. I am looking for an algorithm similar to dropping a rock, and counting how many seconds it takes for it to land to calculate how high a cliff is.

I did a Google search on Bubbles Reach Terminal Velocity, and got lots of good hits. Here's a paper that may be helpful for you:

http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic1032465.files/Final%20Projects/Fluids%20Drag/Terminal%20Velocity.pdf

:smile:

Related to Calculating SCUBA Depth with Exhaled Air and Terminal Velocity

1. How do you calculate SCUBA depth?

SCUBA depth is calculated by taking into account the atmospheric pressure, water density, and the diver's air consumption rate. The general formula for calculating SCUBA depth is: (Atmospheric Pressure / Water Density) x (Air Consumption Rate / Surface Air Consumption Rate).

2. What is atmospheric pressure and how does it affect SCUBA depth?

Atmospheric pressure is the force exerted by the weight of the Earth's atmosphere on a given area. As a diver descends deeper into the water, the atmospheric pressure increases, making it more difficult for them to breathe and affecting their overall air consumption rate. This must be taken into account when calculating SCUBA depth.

3. How does water density impact SCUBA depth calculations?

Water density is the measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume of water. As a diver descends deeper into the water, the water density increases, making it more difficult for them to move and affecting their overall air consumption rate. This must also be considered when calculating SCUBA depth.

4. How do you factor in air consumption rate when calculating SCUBA depth?

Air consumption rate is the amount of air a diver uses per minute while breathing underwater. This varies for each diver and can be affected by factors such as depth, physical exertion, and breathing techniques. To accurately calculate SCUBA depth, the diver's specific air consumption rate must be determined and used in the formula.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when using SCUBA depth calculations?

Yes, it is important to always follow safe diving practices and to never exceed your maximum depth limit or air supply. It is also crucial to regularly check and maintain your equipment, as well as to dive with a partner and communicate effectively while underwater. Consult with a trained and certified SCUBA instructor for more information on safe diving practices.