Calculating Self-Inductance and Capacitance in Parallel Plate Transmission Lines

In summary, the conversation discusses a setup with two parallel conducting plates separated by a distance and carrying currents in opposite directions. The total magnetic field between the plates is found to be \mu_0 J using Ampere's Circuital Law. The flux and self inductance per unit length are also mentioned, but it is unclear how to calculate them without knowing certain values. The capacitance per unit length can be calculated, and the factor \sqrt{\frac{L}{C}} can be expressed in terms of \mu_0, \epsilon_0, and geometrical factors by combining previous results.
malindenmoyer
Two very large parallel conducting plates of very large length [tex]l[/tex], and width [tex]w[/tex] are separated by a distance [tex]d[/tex]. A current [tex]I=Jw[/tex] flows to the right in the lower plate and to the left in the upper plate. Each of the two currents produces a magnetic field [tex]\frac{B}{2}[/tex] between the two plates.

(a) Show that the total field between the plates is [tex]B=\mu_0 J[/tex] via Ampere's Circuital Law.

(b) Find the flux [tex]\phi[/tex] and the self inductance per unit lenght, [tex]\frac{L}{l}[/tex] for this arrangement.

(c) Find the capacitance per unit length, [tex]\frac{C}{l}[/tex].

(d) Find [tex]\sqrt{\frac{L}{C}}[/tex] in terms of [tex]\mu_0, \epsilon_0[/tex] and geometrical factors

My Attempt at Solution
Part (a) is confusing as I have not used the circuital Law for rectangular geometry. I know that Ampere's Law is given by:

[tex]\oint_C \mathbf{B} \cdot \mathrm{d}\boldsymbol{\ell} = \mu_0 I_{\mathrm{enc}}[/tex]

But am confused as to how to apply it as it is not circular geometry.

In part (b) I know that:

[tex]\phi=BA[/tex]

But am not sure as to what area to use, since we know B per part (a)

Solving for flux leads us one step closer to finding the self inductance which is:

[tex]L=\frac{N\phi}{I}[/tex]

But again, I do not know what value to substitute in for [tex]N[/tex].

I am pretty sure I can find the capacitance per unit length per (c), and then (d) is a matter of combing (b) and (c) so that would be self explanatory. Could somebody help me get this thing started? Please keep in mind that I have a very elementary understanding of this material.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody?

Related to Calculating Self-Inductance and Capacitance in Parallel Plate Transmission Lines

1. What is a transmission line?

A transmission line is a specialized type of electrical circuit that is used to transfer electrical energy from one location to another. It is made up of two or more conductors that are separated by a dielectric material and are used to carry electromagnetic signals.

2. What are the main properties of a transmission line?

The main properties of a transmission line include resistance, inductance, capacitance, and conductance. These properties determine the behavior of the transmission line and affect its ability to transmit electrical signals efficiently.

3. How does the length of a transmission line affect its properties?

The length of a transmission line affects its properties in two ways. First, the longer the line, the higher the resistance, and the lower the capacitance and inductance. Second, the longer the line, the more the signal will experience attenuation, which is the loss of energy as it travels along the line.

4. What is characteristic impedance in a transmission line?

Characteristic impedance is a measure of the opposition a transmission line presents to the flow of electrical current. It is a function of the line's physical properties, such as its length, cross-sectional area, and the materials used.

5. How do transmission line properties impact signal integrity?

Transmission line properties play a crucial role in signal integrity. The resistance, capacitance, and inductance of a transmission line affect how a signal is transmitted and received. Any deviation from the desired values can result in signal degradation, interference, and even data loss.