Calculating Shear Stress for Cylinder w/Grooves & Dogs

In summary: Overall, make sure to consider all three types of stress in order to ensure the stability of the construction under the applied force. In summary, in order to ensure the stability of the construction under the applied force, you will need to calculate shear, compression, and bearing stresses using specific equations for each type of stress.
SergeyZh
Hi there
I've got a task where i need to use manual calculations with this setup (see attach.)
there is a cylinder with two internal grooves (yellow part). 5 Dogs are equally spaced (72deg.) inside that cylinder. They are being pushed by the Force against the grooves in the cylinder. What stresses i have to calculate to make sure the construction is stable with applied Force. And what equations I need to use.

I guess is only shear stress, maybe a compression stress from 45deg angle, but someone is mentioned bearing stress as well. Is there any kind of stresses i should be looking at?

Kind Regards, S.

Attachments

• cross_section.PNG
    cross_section.PNG
    5.3 KB · Views: 499
  • front.PNG
    front.PNG
    33.4 KB · Views: 422
Engineering news on Phys.org
The stresses you will need to consider are shear, compression, and bearing stresses. Shear stress is caused by the force applied to the dogs, while compression and bearing stresses are caused by the contact between the dogs and the grooves in the cylinder. To determine the stresses, you will need to use equations for each type of stress. For shear stress, you can use the equation F/A, where F is the applied force and A is the area of the dogs. For the compression and bearing stresses, you will need to calculate the contact area between the dogs and the grooves in the cylinder. Once you have the contact area, you can then use the equations P/A and P/L, where P is the applied pressure and A and L are the area and length of the contact area, respectively.

Related to Calculating Shear Stress for Cylinder w/Grooves & Dogs

1. How do I calculate shear stress for a cylinder with grooves and dogs?

To calculate shear stress for a cylinder with grooves and dogs, you will need to use the formula: τ = (F × d)/(π × r^3), where τ is the shear stress, F is the applied force, d is the distance between the groove and the dog, and r is the radius of the cylinder.

2. What is the significance of calculating shear stress for a cylinder with grooves and dogs?

Calculating shear stress for a cylinder with grooves and dogs is important because it helps engineers and scientists determine the mechanical strength of the cylinder and ensure it can withstand the applied forces without breaking or deforming.

3. Can I use the same formula to calculate shear stress for any cylinder with grooves and dogs?

Yes, the formula for calculating shear stress for a cylinder with grooves and dogs is applicable to any similar structure as long as the dimensions and forces are known.

4. How do I know if the calculated shear stress is within the safe limit?

You can compare the calculated shear stress to the maximum allowable shear stress for the specific material the cylinder is made of. If the calculated value is lower than the maximum allowable shear stress, then it is within the safe limit.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the shear stress of a cylinder with grooves and dogs?

Yes, other factors such as temperature, surface finish, and material properties can also affect the shear stress of a cylinder with grooves and dogs. These should also be taken into consideration when calculating the shear stress.