Calculating Shear Stress on a Rivet in Tension with Angle of Load

In summary, a load of 5kN is applied to a tensile member with a single rivet of 20mm diameter. The joint angle is 60 degrees to the axis of the load and the rivet axis is at 30 degrees to the line of action of the load. The tensile shear stress in the rivet can be calculated using the same equation, multiplied by either 5sin60 or 30, depending on the correct trigonometric calculation.
Stacyg
A load of 5kN is applied to the tensile member shown in the figure below and is carried at the joint by a single rivet of 20mm diameter. The angle of the joint is 60 degrees to the axis of the load (the axis of the rivet is at 30 degrees to the line of action of the load P). Calculate:
(a) the tensile shear stress in the rivet
(b) shear stress in the rivet

The figure is attached. I know how to calculate the stress but I'm not sure how to calculate it on an angle like this. I'm guessing you use the same equation and maybe times it by 5sin60 or do i use 30.

Thanks Stacy

Attachments

• Stacy 1.jpg
    Stacy 1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 479
Physics news on Phys.org
For shear stress, one of the answers you listed is correct. You just need to use trigonometry to determine which one is correct.

Hello Stacy,

Thank you for your question. I would be happy to provide you with a response.

To calculate the shear stress on a rivet in tension with an angle of load, we can use the formula:

Shear stress = Load / Area

(a) To calculate the tensile shear stress in the rivet, we first need to find the area of the rivet. This can be done by using the formula:

Area = π * (diameter/2)^2

In this case, the diameter of the rivet is 20mm, so the area would be:

Area = π * (20/2)^2 = 314.16 mm^2

Next, we need to find the component of the load that is acting in the direction of the rivet. This can be done by using the formula:

Load component = Load * sin(angle)

In this case, the angle is 60 degrees, so the load component would be:

Load component = 5kN * sin(60) = 4.33 kN

Now, we can plug these values into the formula for shear stress:

Shear stress = 4.33 kN / 314.16 mm^2 = 0.0138 MPa

Therefore, the tensile shear stress in the rivet is 0.0138 MPa.

(b) To calculate the shear stress in the rivet, we can use the same formula:

Shear stress = Load / Area

However, this time we will use the entire load of 5kN, since we are calculating the total shear stress on the rivet. So the equation would be:

Shear stress = 5 kN / 314.16 mm^2 = 0.0159 MPa

Therefore, the total shear stress on the rivet is 0.0159 MPa.

I hope this helps to answer your question. Please let me know if you need any further clarification. Keep up the great work in your studies!

FAQ: Calculating Shear Stress on a Rivet in Tension with Angle of Load

1. How do you calculate shear stress on a rivet in tension with angle of load?

To calculate shear stress on a rivet in tension with angle of load, you will need to use the formula: Shear stress = Force applied / Cross-sectional area of the rivet. This will give you the shear stress in units of force per area, such as pounds per square inch.

2. What is the angle of load in relation to shear stress on a rivet?

The angle of load refers to the direction and magnitude of the force applied to the rivet. This angle is important because it affects the amount of shear stress that the rivet will experience. As the angle of load increases, the shear stress on the rivet also increases.

3. How does the cross-sectional area of the rivet affect shear stress?

The cross-sectional area of the rivet is directly related to the amount of shear stress it can withstand. A larger cross-sectional area means there is a greater surface area for the force to be distributed, resulting in lower shear stress. On the other hand, a smaller cross-sectional area will lead to higher shear stress.

4. What factors can affect the shear stress on a rivet?

Aside from the angle of load and cross-sectional area, other factors that can affect the shear stress on a rivet include the material properties of the rivet and the material it is being joined to, the type of force applied (tension, compression, bending), and the design and fit of the rivet in the joint.

5. How can you ensure that a rivet will withstand the expected shear stress?

To ensure that a rivet will withstand the expected shear stress, it is important to carefully calculate and select the appropriate rivet size and material for the specific application. Additionally, proper installation techniques and quality control measures should be followed to ensure the rivet is properly seated and able to withstand the expected load.