Calculating Shearing Stress in a Newtonian Fluid

In summary, the shearing stress acting on the bottom wall is zero. The shearing stress acting on a plane parallel to the wall is 1.915Ns/m^2. The shearing stress at the centerline is 3.14Ns/m^2.
Hybrid_Theory

Homework Statement

The velocity distribution for the floe of a Newtonian fluid between 2 wide parallel plates is given by the equation u=3V/2[1-(y/h)^2] where V is the mean velocity. The fluid has a viscosity of 1.915Ns/m^2. When V=0.61m/s and h=5mm, determine:
A) the shearing stress acting on the bottom wall.
B) the shearing stress acting on a plane parallel to the wall.
C) the shearing stress at the centerline.

Homework Equations

ζ=μ du/dy

The Attempt at a Solution

For C) I worked out u=0.915[1-y^2/2.5X10^-3]
From that I worked out ζ=1.915 X 0.915[1-y^2/2.5X10^-3] X 1/dy.

I have no idea how to work out B).

I think A) =0 as there is no velocity there? I could be very wrong saying that though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the origin of h? Bottom plate, top plate, center?

Either bottom or top plate, doesn't make a diff in this question. It's like a radius if you will. It says the flow is symetrical.

I hit the h key instead of the y key. Typo. Where is the origin of y?

"For C) I worked out u=0.915[1-y^2/2.5X10^-3]
From that I worked out ζ=1.915 X 0.915[1-y^2/2.5X10^-3] X 1/dy."

How can this be when ζ=μ du/dy?

Origin of y is the centerline.

LawrenceC said:
"For C) I worked out u=0.915[1-y^2/2.5X10^-3]
From that I worked out ζ=1.915 X 0.915[1-y^2/2.5X10^-3] X 1/dy."

How can this be when ζ=μ du/dy?

I dunno, I'm really confused. :/

Here is some more help. The profile is parabolic with the velocity function given by u=V/2[1-(y/h)^2] where V is the average velocity.

The shear stress is given by:
S = mu*du/dy which is the viscosity multiplied by the velocity gradient in the direction perpendicular to the flow. If you plot the velocity profile you will note that when y is zero (centerline), the velocity is maximum. Furthermore the fluid velocity is zero at the walls where y= +h or -h. To determine shear, you take the derivative with respect to y. V, the average velocity, is constant.

So all you need to do for part C is take the derivative and plug in the value of y=h.

Related to Calculating Shearing Stress in a Newtonian Fluid

1. What is shearing stress in a Newtonian fluid?

Shearing stress in a Newtonian fluid is the force per unit area that is applied tangentially to the fluid. It is a measure of the resistance of the fluid to deformation or flow due to the applied force.

2. How is shearing stress calculated in a Newtonian fluid?

Shearing stress in a Newtonian fluid is calculated using the formula: τ = μ x τ, where τ is the shearing stress, μ is the coefficient of viscosity, and τ is the velocity gradient.

3. What is the coefficient of viscosity in a Newtonian fluid?

The coefficient of viscosity in a Newtonian fluid is a measure of the fluid's resistance to flow. It represents the internal friction within the fluid and is a constant value for a given fluid at a particular temperature and pressure.

4. How does temperature affect shearing stress in a Newtonian fluid?

As temperature increases, the coefficient of viscosity decreases, leading to a decrease in shearing stress in a Newtonian fluid. This is because the molecules in the fluid have more energy and can move more freely, resulting in less resistance to flow.

5. What are some applications of calculating shearing stress in a Newtonian fluid?

Calculating shearing stress in a Newtonian fluid is important in various industries such as chemical, pharmaceutical, and food processing. It is used to understand and optimize fluid flow in pipelines, pumps, and other equipment. It is also crucial in designing and developing products such as paints, cosmetics, and lubricants.