Calculating Solar Constant at Sunset: How Much Energy Will Be Received?

In summary, The conversation discusses the use of a perfect reflector in space to reflect the light from the sun to the Earth. The speakers question how much energy will be received on the ground when the mirror is overhead at sunset, taking into consideration the solar constant and the angle of the reflector towards the sun and Earth. The speakers also mention drawing a picture to help solve the problem.
ritwik06
Assume that a perfect reflector of 1 square metre, is sent up in space and aligned to reflect the light from sun to earth. How much energy will be received on ground when the mirror is overhead at sunset?

(Solar constant is the amount of Solar Radiation that falls on 1m^2 area per second above the atmosphere at a vertical angle. Assume that nothing is absorbed by the atmosphere.)

Will the enrgy be equal to solar constant? I don't think so. If you agree just tell me how to solve this.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
They probably want you to consider the angle of the reflector to the sun and earth. Draw a picture!

russ_watters said:
They probably want you to consider the angle of the reflector to the sun and earth. Draw a picture!

I have drawn the picture but how will I find the angle etc. ? How will the angle help in getting the answer. It should be veritcal.

FAQ: Calculating Solar Constant at Sunset: How Much Energy Will Be Received?

1. What is the solar constant?

The solar constant is a measure of the amount of solar radiation received per unit area at the outer atmosphere of Earth. It is a key factor in determining the planet's climate and weather patterns.

2. How is the solar constant calculated?

The solar constant is calculated by measuring the amount of solar radiation received at the top of Earth's atmosphere and dividing it by the surface area of a sphere with a radius equal to the distance between the Earth and the Sun.

3. What does "calculating solar constant at sunset" mean?

This refers to determining the amount of solar radiation that is received at the Earth's surface during sunset, when the sun is at the horizon and the angle of sunlight is at its lowest. This calculation takes into account factors such as atmospheric absorption and scattering of sunlight.

4. Why is it important to calculate the solar constant at sunset?

Calculating the solar constant at sunset helps us understand the amount of energy that is still being received from the sun during this time, which has implications for various industries such as agriculture, energy production, and climate research.

5. How much energy is typically received during sunset?

The amount of energy received during sunset varies depending on factors such as latitude, weather conditions, and time of year. On average, it is estimated to be around 50-60% of the energy received at noon on a clear day.

Back