Calculating Sound Intensity Levels for a Baby's Parents

In summary, the problem involves computing the difference in dB between the sound intensity levels heard by a baby's father and mother, with the baby's mouth being 30 cm from the father's ear and 150 cm from the mother's ear. Using the formula for intensity and the given distances, the solution is found to be -13.9794 dB.
hodgepodge

Homework Statement

A baby's mouth is 30 cm from her father's ear and 150 cm from her mother's ear. Compute the difference, in dB, between the sound intensity levels heard by the father and by the mother.

Homework Equations

Intensity = Power/ Area; power = 1/2 * mass per unit length*angular frequency^2*Area^2*v
Intensity = 1/2*Bulk modulus*Area^2*k*angular frequency
B = 10log (I/Io)

The Attempt at a Solution

i understand how to get the velocity (344m/s), but what about the mass per unit length, angular frequency and area

I don't know how to do this problem with such little info, unless I'm using the wrong formulas

ANY help would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
You're subtracting logs, what rule is there for subtracting logs?

u divide them, i understand that, however but where does the distance come into play? in the area?

Oh, use the first formula. You're dividing so the power should cancel, right?

yeah, the powers cancel out, but how does 30 cm and 150 cm relate to area

so far i have

answer =10 log (A * 1/A)

Well the sound is propagating like a spherical shell, A=4πr^2.

ah-ha

answer = 10 log (r^2/R^2) = 10 log ( 30^2 / 150^2) = -13.9794 dB

am i supposed to put 150^2/30^2 in the log, or is it fine the way it is?

thanks

Related to Calculating Sound Intensity Levels for a Baby's Parents

1. What is the typical sound intensity level of a crying baby?

The typical sound intensity level of a crying baby can range from 80-110 decibels (dB), depending on the intensity and duration of the cry. This level is comparable to the sound of a vacuum cleaner or a motorcycle.

2. How does the sound intensity of a baby compare to other noises?

The sound intensity of a baby is generally higher than most everyday noises, such as conversation or traffic. However, it is lower than loud noises like a jackhammer or a rock concert.

3. Can the sound intensity of a crying baby cause hearing damage?

Yes, prolonged exposure to high levels of sound intensity, including a crying baby, can cause damage to the delicate structures of the inner ear. It is important to protect the ears of both the baby and those around them from excessive noise levels.

4. Does the sound intensity of a baby change as they grow?

Yes, the sound intensity of a baby's cry can change as they grow and develop. Newborns typically have a higher-pitched cry, which can be more intense, while older babies may have a lower-pitched cry that is less intense.

5. How can I reduce the sound intensity of a crying baby?

There are a few ways to reduce the sound intensity of a crying baby. First, try to identify and address the cause of the cry, such as hunger or discomfort. Additionally, using sound-absorbing materials, such as blankets or pillows, can help to muffle the sound. Finally, using techniques like white noise or gentle music can also help to reduce the perceived intensity of the cry.