Calculating Speed of Approaching Police Car Using Beat Frequency

In summary, the police car approaching the listener at a speed of 3.4 m/s is traveling in the opposite direction of the 8.7 beats per second heard by the listener.
mike91

Homework Statement

Two police cars have identical sirens that produce a frequency of 660 Hz. A stationary listener is standing between two cars. One car is parked and the other is approaching the listener and both have their sirens on. The listener notices 8.7 beats per second. Find the speed of the approaching police car. (The speed of sound is 340 m/s.)

Homework Equations

f_beat = f_2 - f_1
v=340 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive been trying this one for a while.
Using the beat frequency (8.7 beats per second), I calculated f_2 (the frequency of the moving siren as heard by the listener) to be 668.7 Hz. I then used this in the equation for doppler shift, f_2=((v+v_L)/(v-v_s))f_1.
Plugging in v=340 m/s, v_L=0, f_2=668.7 Hz, f_1=660 Hz and solving for v_s, i get 3.9 m/s, which isn't right.
I have to be missing something small here, any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
mike91 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive been trying this one for a while.
Using the beat frequency (8.7 beats per second), I calculated f_2 (the frequency of the moving siren as heard by the listener) to be 668.7 Hz. I then used this in the equation for doppler shift, f_2=((v+v_L)/(v-v_s))f_1.
Plugging in v=340 m/s, v_L=0, f_2=668.7 Hz, f_1=660 Hz and solving for v_s, i get 3.9 m/s, which isn't right.
I have to be missing something small here, any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Looks like your method is correct, and your answer is not that far off from the correct one. It's probably just an arithmetic or simple algebra mistake. If you post the details of your calculation, we could probably spot where the error is.

Thanks for the welcome, red.
Ok, so using the same methods listed above:
f_beat=f_2 - f_1
f_2 = 8.7 Hz + 660 Hz => f_2 = 668.7 Hz
For the doppler shift equation, the numerator (v+v_L) is just 340 m/s, since the listener is stationary. the denominator (v+v_s) is (340 - v_s), because the positive direction is from listener to source. f_1 = 660 Hz, so it all comes out to
668.7 = (660)*(340/(340-v_s)).
=> 1.01 = 340/(340-v_s)
=> 1.01(340-v_s) = 340
=> 340-v_s = 336.6
=> v_s = 3.4 m/s
Hm, if this looks ok Ill try this new answer. I must have rounded off an incorrect decimal place in my first attempts.

Try expressing the "1.01" to, say, two more significant figures in your calculation.

So taking 668.7/660 and rounding off to 1.0132, I then get v_s = 4.43 m/s.

Looks good. Probably 2 sig figs are justified in the final answer, given the original 8.7 Hz beat frequency.

That's it, thanks for the help!

Related to Calculating Speed of Approaching Police Car Using Beat Frequency

What is the "Beat Frequency Problem"?

The Beat Frequency Problem is a concept in physics that describes the interference pattern created when two waves of slightly different frequencies overlap. It can also refer to the mathematical calculation used to determine the beat frequency, which is the difference between the two wave frequencies.

How is the beat frequency calculated?

The beat frequency is calculated by subtracting the lower frequency from the higher frequency. This difference in frequency creates the beat pattern, which is perceived as a pulsing or fluctuation in the overall amplitude of the waves.

What is the significance of the beat frequency?

The beat frequency is significant because it can help scientists and engineers understand and manipulate wave interference patterns. It also has practical applications in fields like acoustics and radio communication.

What factors affect the beat frequency?

The beat frequency is affected by the difference in frequency between the two waves, as well as their amplitudes and the phase relationship between them. Additionally, the medium through which the waves are traveling can also impact the beat frequency.

How is the beat frequency used in real-world applications?

The beat frequency phenomenon is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as tuning musical instruments, noise-cancelling technology, and radio communication. It is also used in medical imaging techniques like MRI to produce precise images of internal structures.