Calculating Speed of Meterstick Swinging Vertical - Physics

• Thread starter lina29
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a stick with a mass of 0.152 kg and a length of 1.00 m is released from a horizontal position and swings through the vertical. The linear speed of the end of the stick opposite the axis is calculated to be 5.42 m/s. The problem also asks for the ratio of the speed of a particle that has fallen a distance of 1.00 m, starting from rest, to the speed from part (C). This ratio cannot be determined without further information.
lina29
A stick with a mass of 0.152 kg and a length of 1.00 m is pivoted about one end so it can rotate without friction about a horizontal axis. The meter stick is held in a horizontal position and released.
C-As it swings through the vertical, calculate the linear speed of the end of the stick opposite the axis.
D-Find the ratio of the speed of a particle that has fallen a distance of 1.00 m, starting from rest, to the speed from part (C).
For part C I got 5.42 m/s I just cannot figure out part d. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
lina29 said:
A stick with a mass of 0.152 kg and a length of 1.00 m is pivoted about one end so it can rotate without friction about a horizontal axis. The meter stick is held in a horizontal position and released.
C-As it swings through the vertical, calculate the linear speed of the end of the stick opposite the axis.
D-Find the ratio of the speed of a particle that has fallen a distance of 1.00 m, starting from rest, to the speed from part (C).
For part C I got 5.42 m/s I just cannot figure out part d. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the PF.

Please show us your work for how you got part (C).

v=rw= (1 m)(5.42 rad/s)=5.42 m/s

Never mind I didn't read the problem correct. I didn't realize it said ratio :)
Thanks anyway!

For part D, we can use the conservation of energy principle. At the initial position, the stick has potential energy due to its height above the ground. As it swings down, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. Therefore, we can equate the initial potential energy to the final kinetic energy:

mgh = 1/2 mv^2

Where m is the mass of the stick, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height from which the particle falls, and v is the final velocity.

Solving for v, we get:

v = √(2gh)

Substituting the values, we get:

v = √(2*9.8*1.00) = 4.43 m/s

Therefore, the ratio of the speed of the particle to the speed of the end of the stick opposite the axis is:

4.43/5.42 = 0.82

This means that the particle has a speed that is 82% of the speed of the end of the stick.

FAQ: Calculating Speed of Meterstick Swinging Vertical - Physics

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed of a meterstick swinging vertically?

The formula for calculating the speed of a meterstick swinging vertically is v = √(gL), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and L is the length of the meterstick.

2. How do you measure the length of the meterstick for this calculation?

The length of the meterstick can be measured using a ruler or tape measure. Make sure to measure from the center of the pivot point to the end of the meterstick to get an accurate measurement.

3. Can the speed of a meterstick swinging vertically change?

Yes, the speed of a meterstick swinging vertically can change depending on the length of the meterstick, the angle at which it is released, and any external factors such as air resistance.

4. How does the angle at which the meterstick is released affect the speed?

The speed of a meterstick swinging vertically is affected by the angle at which it is released. The higher the angle, the faster the meterstick will swing due to the increased potential energy at release.

5. What is the unit of measurement for the speed of a meterstick swinging vertically?

The unit of measurement for the speed of a meterstick swinging vertically is meters per second (m/s).

Back