Calculating Spring Constant for Horizontal Oscillation of a Mass

In summary, the horizontal spring constant is a measure of a spring's stiffness in the horizontal direction, denoted by the letter k. It is calculated by dividing the applied force by the displacement of the spring or by the change in force to the change in length of the spring. The units of horizontal spring constant depend on the units of force and displacement used in the calculation, with the SI unit being newtons per meter (N/m). This constant affects the motion of an object by determining the force and displacement exerted on it, leading to a faster and more energetic motion with a higher spring constant. Factors such as the material and design of the spring, attached mass, temperature, and environment can affect its value, along with the length and
cfalvo

Homework Statement

Consider a 2.5kg mass oscillating at the end of a spring, with the frequency of 1.0Hz. The motion of the mass extends through 0.04m.

Homework Equations

Determine the spring constant-

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't find the right equation to set up this problem appropriately. The closest thing I could muster up was:

period=t= 2pi[tex]\sqrt{}[/tex]m/k
1=2pi[tex]\sqrt{}[/tex](2.5/k)
(1/2pi)=[tex]\sqrt{}[/tex](2.5/k)
(0.1592)(0.1592)=2.5/k
0.02533=k2.5
=98.6971(n/m)

-I'll bet good money I applied that equation wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks correct me.

FAQ: Calculating Spring Constant for Horizontal Oscillation of a Mass

What is the definition of horizontal spring constant?

The horizontal spring constant, also known as the transverse spring constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring in the horizontal direction. It is typically denoted by the letter k.

How is horizontal spring constant calculated?

The horizontal spring constant is calculated by dividing the applied force by the displacement of the spring. It is also equal to the ratio of the change in force to the change in length of the spring.

What are the units of horizontal spring constant?

The units of horizontal spring constant depend on the units of force and displacement used in the calculation. In the SI system, the unit of horizontal spring constant is newtons per meter (N/m).

How does horizontal spring constant affect the motion of an object?

The horizontal spring constant determines the force exerted by the spring on an object and how much the object will be displaced when a force is applied to it. A higher spring constant results in a greater force and displacement, leading to a faster and more energetic motion.

What factors can affect the value of horizontal spring constant?

The value of horizontal spring constant can be affected by the material and design of the spring, the mass of the object attached to the spring, and the temperature and environment in which the spring is used. It can also vary with the length and diameter of the spring wire.

Back