Calculating Standard Molar Enthalpy of Formation at 298K for N2O5 (g)

• Thread starter ace123
  • Start date
In summary, the standard molar enthalpy of formation of N2O5 (g) at 298 K is equivalent to the standard molar internal energy of formation at the same temperature, as long as the volume is kept constant. The mention of 298 K is not necessary to find the answer, but may be included as a hint to lead to the concept of total energy of a reaction.
ace123
This is my last thermochemistry question.

The standard molar internal energy of formation of N2O5 (g) is 17.433 KJ/mol at 298 K. What is the standard molar enthalpy of formation of N2O5 (g) at the same temperature.

I just need hint, like what do i do with the 298K?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
its delta H = delta U (E) + P delta V

molar internal is delta E and if you had data for P and delta V, you could get delta H (enthalpy). But what if this is done at CONSTANT volume, what happens to P delta V (your question doesn't give this condition but it also doesn't give P or delta V values - it might be leading you this way)? how can you find delta H under this constant volume condition?

Well if volume is kept constant then the delta H will be just E?

Yes, correct,

and NO, I'm not stalking you, just trying to help out where I can - solving chem problems is fun for me and you seem to have some fun problems :smile:

Only reason they are fun is because my professor gets them from some website and doesn't even check to see if they relate to what we have done in class. Which is why I'am forced to ask for help :smile:

Edit: So why even give the 298K. Just to tell us that it's not standard pressure?

I think you mean standard state but no, the temp is not necessary to get the answer. However, temp is often specified as well in these thermochem questions but not part of the standard states (1atm and 1M). Might as well be though,

Your prof is trying to get through some material without lecturing about it in class (might be because he is behind in his schedule) and so is trying to get you to go look this up (or ask for help ... :) ) and read other parts of your textbook, there must be another part of the chapter on thermochem that deals with total energy of a reaction, which is what I should have suggested that you go do in the first place... ;)

enough fun for me, I've got to go back and do my own work...

Last edited:
Well thanks for your help and I won't bother you again. Well at least for today. Unfortunately this really isn't in my textbook. Only part that deals with energy. Also my chem class is a lecture so is supposed to lecture about it :)

Related to Calculating Standard Molar Enthalpy of Formation at 298K for N2O5 (g)

What is thermchemistry?

Thermchemistry is the branch of science that studies the relationship between heat and chemical reactions. It involves the measurement and calculation of the heat changes that occur during chemical reactions.

What is the difference between endothermic and exothermic reactions?

Endothermic reactions absorb heat from their surroundings, causing a decrease in temperature. Exothermic reactions release heat to their surroundings, causing an increase in temperature.

How is enthalpy related to thermchemistry?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that represents the total heat content of a system. In thermchemistry, enthalpy change is used to measure the heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction.

What is Hess's Law and how is it used in thermchemistry?

Hess's Law states that the enthalpy change of a reaction is independent of the pathway taken from the initial to final state. This allows us to calculate the enthalpy change of a reaction by adding or subtracting the enthalpy changes of individual steps.

What are some real-life applications of thermchemistry?

Thermchemistry is used in industries such as metallurgy, fuel production, and pharmaceuticals. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and controlling the heat and energy involved in everyday processes such as cooking, combustion, and refrigeration.