Calculating Statistical Operator $\hat{\rho}$

In summary, the conversation discusses the commutativity of the statistical operator ρ with the Hamiltonian in a quantum system. The operator ρ is shown to be a constant multiple of the identity operator and therefore commutes with any operator, including the Hamiltonian. The example of a matrix ρ with non-diagonal elements is also mentioned, but it is clarified that this represents the state ρ at a fixed time t0 and not its solution for all times.
matematikuvol
[tex]
\hat{\rho} = \begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{3} & 0 & 0 \\[0.3em]
0 & \frac{1}{3} & 0 \\[0.3em]
0 & 0 & \frac{1}{3}
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

If I have this statistical operator I get
[tex]i\hbar\frac{d\hat{\rho}}{dt}=0[/tex]
So this is integral of motion and
[tex][\hat{H},\hat{\rho}]=0[/tex]
Is this correct? Tnx for your answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your operator is a constant multiple of the identity operator, so it commutes with any operator, in particular the Hamiltonian.

Of course. My example wasn't so good. Suppose I have matrix

[tex]
\hat{\rho} = \begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{3} & 5 & 6 \\[0.3em]
5 & \frac{1}{3} & 6 \\[0.3em]
5 & 6 & \frac{1}{3}
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

Why now [tex]\hat{\rho}[/tex] always commute with Hamiltonian?

Last edited:
What you have written is the state ρ in a fixed base for a given time t0.

Compare this with a ket vector, which can be represented as a column vector (1 2 3 ...)T for any fixed time t0.

In both cases, the states are initial values for the dynamical equations. Not their solutions for all times t.

Related to Calculating Statistical Operator $\hat{\rho}$

1. What is the purpose of calculating the statistical operator?

The statistical operator, denoted as $\hat{\rho}$, is used in quantum mechanics to describe the state of a physical system. It contains information about the probability of the system being in a certain state and can be used to calculate other physical quantities.

2. How is the statistical operator related to the density matrix?

The density matrix, denoted as $\rho$, is a representation of the statistical operator in a specific basis. It is obtained by taking the trace of the statistical operator over all other basis states. In other words, the density matrix is a reduced version of the statistical operator that contains all the relevant information about the system.

3. What is the difference between a pure and mixed state in terms of the statistical operator?

A pure state is described by a statistical operator with only one non-zero eigenvalue, while a mixed state has multiple non-zero eigenvalues. This means that a pure state has a definite value for a physical quantity, while a mixed state represents a system with uncertain or probabilistic values for that quantity.

4. How can the statistical operator be used to calculate expectation values?

The expectation value of a physical quantity $\hat{A}$ can be calculated using the formula $\langle\hat{A}\rangle = Tr(\hat{\rho}\hat{A})$, where $\hat{\rho}$ is the statistical operator and $\hat{A}$ is the corresponding observable or operator. This gives the average value of $\hat{A}$ for the system described by the statistical operator.

5. Can the statistical operator be used to describe entangled states?

Yes, the statistical operator can be used to describe entangled states, which are states of a system where the individual components cannot be described independently. In this case, the statistical operator will have non-zero off-diagonal elements, indicating a correlation between the components of the system.