Calculating Steam Needed to Heat Espresso from 50C to 80C

• Thread starter Physics321
  • Start date
In summary: That's why it's called a "In summary" thread. Let people who are interested in your question read it and then maybe they can respond.
Physics321
I am having trouble with this question:

The temperature of the espresso coffee (mostly water) can be increased by blowing 100 C steam into it. How much steam (in grams) is needed to heat up a 20 cm^3 cup of espresso from 50 C to 80 C? What is the volume of this quantity of steam assuming that the steam is an ideal gas?

So far I have started like so:

Since the 20 cm^3 conversion to grams with water is just 1:1 I just said 20 g of water for starting.

And approached it like so:

(20g)(1 g/cal)(80 C – 50 C)= -ms(-540 cal/g) + (1 cal/g)(80 C – 100 C) and got ms to be roughly 1.11 g of steam.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't know the numbers for cal off by heart but that's the right approach

mass coffee * specific heat cap * temp change = energy (steam->water) + mass steam * specific heat cap water * temp change (from 100 to final T)

my approach is

mass of coffee*specific heat of water(1cal/g/K)*delta T= mass of steam * heat of condensation(540cal/g)+mass of steam * 1cal/g/K* (100-final T)

and the homework software determined that I am wrong

HELP! due tomorrow 10 am

help!

anyone?

1989.1989 said:
my approach is

mass of coffee*specific heat of water(1cal/g/K)*delta T= mass of steam * heat of condensation(540cal/g)+mass of steam * 1cal/g/K* (100-final T)

and the homework software determined that I am wrong

HELP! due tomorrow 10 am
It may be too late to help you, but here is some advice for the future:

Show what answer you got. You have set up the correct equation, so we can't tell where your mistake is.

This forum has people from all over the world, from many different time zones. We don't know when "10 am" is for you.

Don't bump your thread every couple of hours.

Related to Calculating Steam Needed to Heat Espresso from 50C to 80C

1. How do I calculate the amount of steam needed to heat espresso from 50C to 80C?

To calculate the amount of steam needed, you will need to use the specific heat capacity of espresso, which is 4.2 J/g•K, and the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q is the amount of heat needed, m is the mass of the espresso, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature (30C in this case). This will give you the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of the espresso. Then, divide this value by the specific enthalpy of steam (2257 J/g) to determine the amount of steam needed.

2. What is the specific heat capacity of espresso?

The specific heat capacity of espresso is 4.2 J/g•K. This means that it takes 4.2 joules of energy to raise the temperature of 1 gram of espresso by 1 degree Kelvin.

3. How do I convert the temperature from Celsius to Kelvin?

To convert from Celsius to Kelvin, simply add 273.15 to the Celsius temperature. In this case, 50C would be 323.15K and 80C would be 353.15K.

4. What is the specific enthalpy of steam?

The specific enthalpy of steam is 2257 J/g. This means that it takes 2257 joules of energy to convert 1 gram of water into steam at 100C and 1 atmospheric pressure.

5. Can I use this equation to calculate the steam needed for any temperature change?

Yes, you can use this equation to calculate the steam needed for any temperature change. Just make sure to use the correct specific heat capacity for the substance you are heating and the specific enthalpy of steam.