Calculating Steel Sheet Thickness for 8m Pool

In summary: I'd agree with this, expecially if you try thing sheet steel, it will flex and likely tear at the jionts.
Betenix
ok guys, suppose i wanted to build a round 8m diameter 1m high pool out of galvanized steel sheet. I will be filling it 0.7m with water.
I am aiming to reduce its cost so I am calculating the thinnest sheet i am allowed to use without it failing.
I will be using 7 sheets bolted together(each is 1m x 3.6m).

The pressure at the bottom (P=p.g.h) came out as 6867 Pa. Now how do i work with this information? I am guessing a circular distributed force which acts on the 7 unions?

Any ideas?

Thankss

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's not the strength of the material you need to be worried about, as even incedibly thin sheet will withhold that. The cost difference between gagues isn't that huge in the grand scheme of things. If it's a pool you don't want thin sheet metal as it will flex when people are in it.

It's your joints you need to be worried about. Unless it's fully welded, or you use some gasketing/bonding material it'll just leak all the water away.

This can be considered to be a cylindrical pressure vessel, with hoop stress being the largest stress. The size means we can assume it's a thin wall. Factor of safety of say 3. No ide awhat grade of steel you are using so i'll assume a yield of about 300MPa

Although if this is a pool, stainless would be a better idea.

stress = pr/t
(0.006867*8)/t = (stress yield/3)
0.054936/100=0.0055mm

So as you can see this is much much thinner than the thinnest sheet you can buy. Material strength is not the dominant factor in design here. It needs to be practical.

xxChrisxx said:
stress = pr/t
(0.006867*8)/t = (stress yield/3)
0.054936/100=0.0055mm

It is actually half that since you used the diameter instead of the radius.

cstoos said:
It is actually half that since you used the diameter instead of the radius.

Oops! Well spotted. :smile:

Don't forget about the stress concentrations that will occur where you bolt the sheets together. Depending on how you are going to do to bolt the plates together, the stresses could get fairly high.

Also, depending on the grade of steel you buy, your failure mode may be crack propagation, not stress based failure.

jrw66 said:
Also, depending on the grade of steel you buy, your failure mode may be crack propagation, not stress based failure.

I'd agree with this, expecially if you try thing sheet steel, it will flex and likely tear at the jionts.

To be honest, steel is not the material i'd chose to make a pool from. It'd probably be cheaper to just get it made from a heavy plastic. If you have to go with steel, i'd go with a stainless rather than a galvanised steel. Or build a proper pool.

Related to Calculating Steel Sheet Thickness for 8m Pool

1. How do you calculate the steel sheet thickness for an 8m pool?

To calculate the steel sheet thickness for an 8m pool, you will need to consider the following factors: the desired pool depth, the shape and size of the pool, the type of steel sheet being used, and the amount of pressure the steel sheet will need to withstand. Once you have this information, you can use a formula or an online calculator specifically designed for this purpose to determine the appropriate steel sheet thickness.

2. What is the importance of calculating the steel sheet thickness for an 8m pool?

Calculating the steel sheet thickness is essential for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of the pool. If the steel sheet is too thin, it may not be able to withstand the pressure of the water and could potentially lead to leaks or even collapse. On the other hand, if the steel sheet is too thick, it can be costly and unnecessary.

3. Are there any industry standards for calculating steel sheet thickness for pools?

Yes, there are industry standards for calculating steel sheet thickness for pools. The most commonly used standard is the American Concrete Institute's (ACI) publication, "Guide for Design and Construction of Concrete Pools and Spas." This guide provides guidelines and formulas for determining the appropriate steel sheet thickness based on the pool's dimensions, water depth, and other factors.

4. What are the different types of steel sheet that can be used for an 8m pool?

The most commonly used types of steel sheet for pools are stainless steel and galvanized steel. Stainless steel is more durable and corrosion-resistant, making it a popular choice for pools. Galvanized steel is less expensive but may not be as long-lasting as stainless steel. It is essential to consider the type of steel sheet that best suits your budget and the pool's location and environmental factors.

5. Can I calculate the steel sheet thickness myself, or do I need a professional?

While it is possible to calculate the steel sheet thickness yourself, it is always recommended to consult a professional. A structural engineer or a pool builder will have the expertise and experience to accurately determine the appropriate steel sheet thickness for your specific pool. They can also take into account any potential factors that may affect the calculation, ensuring the safety and longevity of your pool.