Calculating Stress in Brass Tube and Steel Bar with Compression Load

In summary, You have a brass tube with steel bar inside. The brass tube is longer than the steel bar. You have to calculate the stress in both objects when a compression load of 60kN is applied. The first thing to do is calculate how much force it required to shrink the brass tube down to the same length as the steel bar. You find the force exerted by the compression on the brass tube and the steel bar and the total force is equal to the applied load.
snowygrouch
Hi,
Got to the last question in my mechanics problems list and just can't get it!

You have a brass tube with steel bar inside.

The brass tube is 400.12mm long; longer than the steel bar which is 400mm long.

You have to calculate the stress in both objects when a compression load of 60kN is applied.

I thought the first thing to do would be calculate how much force it required to shrink the brass tube down to the same length as the steel bar. Which is easy: F=stressxarea so F=16.488kN.

So now both materials are the same length so from this point on any change in length must be identical for both objects.

E is given as 100kN/mm2 for Brass and 200kN/mm2 for steel.

The area (cross sectional) of the brass tube is 550mm2 and 616mm2 for the steel bar.

At this point it all goes wrong! (I know what the answers are as they`re given but I can't get the right numbers... ).

I imagine its probably related to the fact the the change in lengths must be identical but how you apply that thinking has just irritated me.

Any ideas much appreciated!

Thanks

Calum

Physics news on Phys.org
Your 43.51 kN will compress *both* objects some distance,
their Forces now add (like in FBD's). Each one's Force is EA ...
usually you'd have to worry about the DeltaL/L ... but not here.
just add them together, since they're the same length.

What did you do for the other part?

the resultant force from the stresses (sp?) of the brass + the resultant force from the stresses of the steel will be equal to the rest of the applied load. And remember the compatibility equation [itex] \delta_{s} = \delta_{b} [/itex] for the rest of the deformation.

Last edited:
Not yet..

Hi,
Many thanks for the help so far.
I think my problem is that all the lectures were on single body stress,
I`m just not sure how to apply the formulas to a parrallell system.
In other words if I've got 60kn and 2 parallell shafts do i divide the 60kn by 2 or??
This is only the second lecture so there are some fundamentals I`m lacking.

Calum

Are you supposed to find the displacement? if its the displacement, this is a 2 axial load problem, and can't be solved by the conventional formula for 1 axial load [itex] \delta = \frac{PL}{EA} [/itex], but by the more general [itex] \delta = \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{N_{i}L_{i}}{E_{i}A_{i}} [/itex]

Hi,
No its not the displacement but the internal stress in each individual member.
All my lectures up to now have been on single bodies which is fairly easy; I`m just not sure how to apply the equations Stress=force/area, E=stress/strain and Strain=change in length/length to multiple bodies in parallell.

In other words do you divide the total force by the number of objects or do you have to use a ratio of the surface areas etc.

Calum

snowygrouch said:
In other words do you divide the total force by the number of objects or do you have to use a ratio of the surface areas etc.

You ADD the forces. The individual forces are function of the displacement.

If x is the (common) displacement, then F1(x) is the force coming from the brass tube and F2(x) is the force coming from the steel bar. Both can be calculated individually from "single body compression".
The total force excerted is now of course F(x) = F1(x) + F2(x). You know the total force, you don't know x...

Related to Calculating Stress in Brass Tube and Steel Bar with Compression Load

1. How do I calculate stress in a brass tube and steel bar with a compression load?

The stress in a material is equal to the applied force divided by the cross-sectional area of the material. In this case, you would need to calculate the cross-sectional area of both the brass tube and steel bar, and then divide the compression load by those values to determine the stress.

2. What is the formula for calculating cross-sectional area?

The formula for calculating cross-sectional area depends on the shape of the material. For a circular shape, such as a brass tube, the formula is πr2, where r is the radius of the tube. For a rectangular shape, such as a steel bar, the formula is length x width.

3. What units should I use for the calculation?

The units used for the calculation will depend on the units used for the force and the dimensions of the material. It is important to ensure that all units are consistent, for example, if the force is measured in Newtons, the dimensions should be in meters to maintain consistency. It is also important to use units that are appropriate for the size of the material, for example, using millimeters for a small brass tube rather than meters.

4. Are there any other factors that should be considered when calculating stress in a material?

Yes, in addition to the applied force and the dimensions of the material, the material's properties, such as its modulus of elasticity, should also be taken into account. The modulus of elasticity is a measure of the material's ability to resist deformation and can be used to calculate the strain, which is then used to determine the stress.

5. How can I ensure accuracy in my stress calculations?

It is important to use accurate measurements for the dimensions of the material and to use appropriate units. Additionally, it is important to consider any external factors that may affect the material's stress, such as temperature or other loads. It is also helpful to double-check your calculations and consider consulting a reference or an expert in the field if needed.