Calculating support reactions in a beam

In summary, the conversation was about calculating support reactions using the equations ƩFy = 0 and ƩMA = 0. The person asking the question had come up with the first equation and was unsure of how to calculate the sum of moments. Another person helped by pointing out a mistake in taking the moment of the uniformly distributed load and providing the correct equation for summing moments about point A.
Studious_stud

Homework Statement

b515aw.jpg

Trying to calculate the support reactions here.

Homework Equations

ƩFy = 0
ƩMA = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I've come up with the first equation (I assume two are needed to solve for both support reactions from the above equations).

ƩFy = 0

RA + RB (up) = 10kN + 10kN + 4(10kN) (down)

RA + RB = 60kN

Not too sure how to go about calculating the sum of the moments in this case. But here's an attempt, I may be completely wrong! But then again that's why I'm here.

ƩMA = 0

Taking moments about A in a positive clockwise direction:

(4+2+2)(10kN) + (4+2)(10kN) (clockwise+) = 4(10kN)(4 + 4/2) + 4RB (counter clockwise-)

(8)(10kN) + (6)(10kN) - 4(10kN)(4 + 4/2) - 4RB = 0

4/2 is the centroid of the uniformly distributed load 10kN

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is A the pin support and B the roller support? I don't see it on picture

Blugga said:
Is A the pin support and B the roller support? I don't see it on picture

Yep!

Your mistake is where you take the moment of the uniformly distributed load.

You have "4(10kN)(4 + 4/2)" for the moment of the uniformly distributed load.
You're right that the resultant force from the 10kN/m load will be 4*10 because the load is acting on the 4 meter length. This resultant force is now 40KN at the center of that length (which is 2m). So as you know, the moment will be the resultant force multiplied by the distance to point A. So you don't need to add the original distance, just where the resultant force is acting.

Edit: Also, the moment from the resultant force acts clockwise(+) because it points down and is to the right of A

Blugga said:
Your mistake is where you take the moment of the uniformly distributed load.

You have "4(10kN)(4 + 4/2)" for the moment of the uniformly distributed load.
You're right that the resultant force from the 10kN/m load will be 4*10 because the load is acting on the 4 meter length. This resultant force is now 40KN at the center of that length (which is 2m). So as you know, the moment will be the resultant force multiplied by the distance to point A. So you don't need to add the original distance, just where the resultant force is acting.

Edit: Also, the moment from the resultant force acts clockwise(+) because it points down and is to the right of A

Thanks Blugga!

So the moment for the UDL is 40kN(2m), 2m being the centroid of that section? I understand now.

Which is the moment from the resultant force?

Studious_stud said:
Thanks Blugga!

So the moment for the UDL is 40kN(2m), 2m being the centroid of that section? I understand now.

Yes it is, and it's clockwise.

Blugga said:
Yes it is, and it's clockwise.

Great. So just to clarify, the correct summing of moments about A is:

(8)(10kN) + (6)(10kN) + 40kN(2) - 4RB = 0

Thank you very much

Studious_stud said:
Great. So just to clarify, the correct summing of moments about A is:

(8)(10kN) + (6)(10kN) + 40kN(2) - 4RB = 0

Thank you very much

That's what I got. :smile:

Related to Calculating support reactions in a beam

1. How do you calculate support reactions in a beam?

To calculate support reactions in a beam, you need to consider the forces acting on the beam, including external forces and internal forces. Then, you can use the equations of equilibrium (sum of forces and sum of moments) to solve for the support reactions at each end of the beam.

2. What are the different types of support reactions in a beam?

The different types of support reactions in a beam are: fixed support, which prevents both translation and rotation of the beam; roller support, which allows translation but not rotation; and pin support, which allows both translation and rotation.

3. How do you determine the direction of support reactions in a beam?

The direction of support reactions in a beam can be determined by using the equations of equilibrium. The sum of forces in the vertical and horizontal directions should equal zero, and the sum of moments around any point should also equal zero. By solving these equations, the direction of the support reactions can be determined.

4. Can support reactions in a beam change under different loading conditions?

Yes, support reactions in a beam can change under different loading conditions. The magnitude and direction of the support reactions depend on the external forces acting on the beam, so any change in these forces can result in a change in the support reactions.

5. What are some common mistakes when calculating support reactions in a beam?

Some common mistakes when calculating support reactions in a beam include: forgetting to consider all forces acting on the beam, not using the correct units for calculations, and not properly applying the equations of equilibrium. It is also important to double check calculations and make sure they are accurate.