Calculating temperature at a distance

In summary, the sensor is trying to measure the "true" temperature of objects at different distances, but the issue is that the image of the object gets smaller and smaller, and soon the temperature of the object is averaged with other objects around it.
shibshib
I'm a bit stuck here guys. I am but a humble computer scientist, so I'm hoping you guys can give me some insight. I have an IR sensor that's capable of detecting a target temperature (whatever it's pointed at) and the ambient temperature. I have objects (humans, hot mugs, etc.) sitting in front of it at different distances. I am trying to measure the "true" temperature of objects at different distances.

Homework Equations

Intensity is proportional to 1 / distance2
σ = 5.67 x 10-8

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to look for radiation/distance models online but haven't found much (maybe my google fu is failing me?) what I've done so far is found a curve fit radiation at different distances and used that equation to calculate that temperature, but it's a bit time consuming to do, I'm hoping there must be some sort of model that I missed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
shibshib said:
I'm a bit stuck here guys. I am but a humble computer scientist, so I'm hoping you guys can give me some insight. I have an IR sensor that's capable of detecting a target temperature (whatever it's pointed at) and the ambient temperature. I have objects (humans, hot mugs, etc.) sitting in front of it at different distances. I am trying to measure the "true" temperature of objects at different distances.

Homework Equations

Intensity is proportional to 1 / distance2
σ = 5.67 x 10-8

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to look for radiation/distance models online but haven't found much (maybe my google fu is failing me?) what I've done so far is found a curve fit radiation at different distances and used that equation to calculate that temperature, but it's a bit time consuming to do, I'm hoping there must be some sort of model that I missed.

Welcome to the PF.

That sensor does not use intensity, so the distance doesn't come into play in that way.

Have a look at this wikipedia page to learn the basics of how infrared thermometers work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_thermometer

The issue with distance is that the image of the object that you want to measure gets smaller and smaller, and soon you will be averaging the temperature of the object with other objects around it (and the background temperature). To measure more distant objects well, you will need some optical gain (like binoculars or a telescope). :smile:

Likes shibshib
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

That sensor does not use intensity, so the distance doesn't come into play in that way.

Have a look at this wikipedia page to learn the basics of how infrared thermometers work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_thermometer

The issue with distance is that the image of the object that you want to measure gets smaller and smaller, and soon you will be averaging the temperature of the object with other objects around it (and the background temperature). To measure more distant objects well, you will need some optical gain (like binoculars or a telescope). :smile:
Thank you! I'm using an MLX90614 IR sensor, so what you're saying does make sense. I will look into that.

Related to Calculating temperature at a distance

1. How do you calculate the temperature at a distance?

To calculate the temperature at a distance, you can use the inverse square law. This states that the intensity of energy radiated from a point source decreases in proportion to the square of the distance. In simpler terms, the farther away you are from the source of heat, the less heat you will feel.

2. What is the inverse square law?

The inverse square law is a mathematical principle that states the intensity of energy radiated from a point source is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. This is applicable to various forms of energy, including heat, light, and sound.

3. Does the type of material affect temperature at a distance calculations?

Yes, the type of material can affect temperature at a distance calculations. Materials have different properties, such as reflectivity and thermal conductivity, that can impact how they absorb and distribute heat. This can affect the temperature at a certain distance from the source.

4. Can you use the inverse square law to calculate temperature at a distance for non-point sources?

Yes, the inverse square law can still be used for non-point sources, but it may not be as accurate. This is because non-point sources, such as extended heat sources, have varying degrees of intensity and may not follow the same pattern as point sources.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when calculating temperature at a distance?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect temperature at a distance calculations, such as atmospheric conditions, wind speed, and the presence of other objects that can absorb or reflect heat. These factors should be taken into account for more accurate calculations.