Calculating Temperature of Insulated Room Base - Thermal Conduction Homework

In summary: The solution is valid.In summary, the question is about calculating the temperature between the wooden board and insulating material in a room. The approach involves assuming constant heat flow across the two materials and taking into consideration their thermal conductivity and thickness. The temperature is found to be 19.42°C, with the heat flow being constant and the assumption being valid due to the good contact between the materials.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

The base of the room in a house consists of wooden board which is 15 mm thick and of area 200 m^2. The thermal conductivity of the board is 0.15 W/m/K. The temperature of the room is maintained at 0 degree celcius and the base is at 20 degree celcius. If the owner now decides to insulate the room by covering the board with a layer of insulating material of thickness of 10 cm and thermal conductivity of 0.030 W/m/K, calculate the temperature of the board and insulating material interface.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt}=kA\frac{d\theta}{dx}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it the temperature of the board or insulating material interface the question is asking? Or is it the temperature between them?

Can i assume that the rate of heat flow across the board and insulating material is constant such that,

[tex]0.030(\frac{\theta-0}{0.1})=0.015(\frac{20-\theta}{0.015})[/tex]

but the temperature calculated here is the temperature of the insulating material.

The answer given is 20 degree celcius.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is asking about the temperature between the board and insulating material. And your approach is correct, except you have a typo in your equation.

Mapes said:
The question is asking about the temperature between the board and insulating material. And your approach is correct, except you have a typo in your equation.

Thanks Mapes, i got 19.42 degree celcius from my above working(after correcting the typo as well) but the answer given is 20.

Also, isn't that what i calculated the temperature of the insulating material, and not the temperature between the insulating material and the board? My approach assumes the rate of heat flow across the two materials are constant. Is this assumption valid? I missed out something, it says at the end of the question that the board and insulating material are in good contact. Does this statement make that assumption valid? Why?

The temperature increases from 0°C to 19.42°C across the insulation, and from 19.42°C to 20°C across the board. The heat flow (in W) is constant. Because the board and insulation are in good contact, we don't need to worry about any air gap that would influence heat transfer.

Can someone please explain the reasoning behind this result?

I would first clarify the question and make sure I understand what is being asked. It seems that the question is asking for the temperature at the interface between the wooden board and the insulating material. To calculate this, we can use the equation for thermal conduction, where the rate of heat flow is equal to the thermal conductivity (k) multiplied by the surface area (A) and the temperature gradient (dθ/dx). We can assume that the rate of heat flow is constant, so we can set the two equations for the wooden board and the insulating material equal to each other and solve for the temperature at the interface.

However, the given answer of 20 degrees Celsius does not seem to be correct. To double check, we can plug in the values given in the problem and solve for the temperature at the interface. Using the equation mentioned above, we get:

(0.030 W/m/K)(200 m^2)(dθ/dx) = (0.15 W/m/K)(200 m^2)(dθ/dx)

Solving for dθ/dx, we get dθ/dx = 0, which means there is no temperature difference between the two materials. This does not seem to be a realistic result, so I would suggest double checking the calculations and/or seeking clarification from the teacher or professor.

FAQ: Calculating Temperature of Insulated Room Base - Thermal Conduction Homework

1. What is thermal conduction?

Thermal conduction is the transfer of heat from one object to another through direct physical contact without any movement of the material itself.

2. How does thermal conduction work?

Thermal conduction occurs when heat energy moves from a hotter object to a colder object. This is due to the vibration and movement of particles within the material, which causes the transfer of energy.

3. What factors affect thermal conduction?

The rate of thermal conduction is affected by several factors including the type of material, the temperature difference between the objects, and the thickness and surface area of the materials.

4. What are some examples of thermal conduction?

Some common examples of thermal conduction include cooking on a stove, holding a hot cup of coffee, and using a metal spoon to stir a pot of hot soup. These all involve heat transfer from a hotter object to a colder one through direct contact.

5. How does thermal conduction differ from other forms of heat transfer?

Thermal conduction is just one of three modes of heat transfer, along with convection and radiation. Unlike convection and radiation, thermal conduction does not involve the movement of material or the transfer of energy through electromagnetic waves.