Calculating Tensile Stress in a 40mm Rod with 200 KN Load | Formulas & Solutions

In summary, the tensile stress in a rod with a diameter of 40 mm and a load of 200 KN is calculated to be 159.24 N/mm^2 using the formula pi*r^2 and the given values. However, this result may not accurately reflect the actual stress due to the Poisson effect and the chosen level of accuracy. It is important to consider the meaning and purpose of calculations and choose an appropriate level of accuracy.
rad10k

Homework Statement

Calculate the tensile stress in a rod 40 mm in diameter with a load 200 KN ?

Homework Equations

pi*r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

3.14 * (20*20) = 1256 mm^2

200 * 1000 = 200 000 N

200 000 / 1256 = 159.24 N/mm^2

Tensile stress = 159.24 N/mm^2

Could anybody tell if this is correct and offer some guidance if its not? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
just to add I am using tensile stress = f/a

Looks good to me!

Thansk :eek:)

Comment: ridiculously "accurate" for practical purposes. Even 159 N/mm2 is slightly incredulous.

Not sure what you mean by that but its for course work not pratical purposes.

I just think that you should contemplate the meaning of what you have calculated. If you asked me what was the temperature in my room right now, and I replied that it was 15.36 degrees celsius, you would perhaps consider that the 6 was unnecessary, and possibly also the 3. There are a number of things that could be said about stress. One of them is that, under tensile stress the cross-sectional area gets smaller due to the Poisson effect (Like you see when you stretch a rubber band, and it gets thinner as well as longer). So the actual stress is bigger than you have calculated (although, admittedly, the people who define standards don't ask that people do recalculate the stress). But if you did, you would see how at least the last figure would change. I would challenge you also to say why you thought that 5 significant figures was the "correct" truncation of your result. Why not 7 or 3 or some other number. You can't answer that without asking other questions, such as "why do you want to know?". My plea is that you should not regard coursework as something to be finished, but rather some spur to getting more meaning out of it. Please think about the meaning of any calculation you do, and then choose an appropriate accuracy.

I can see your point I shall think about that when answering question in future . Though I don't want to hand some work in and then get the answer wrong because I rounded it too far .

Related to Calculating Tensile Stress in a 40mm Rod with 200 KN Load | Formulas & Solutions

What is tensile stress?

Tensile stress is the amount of force per unit area that a material experiences when being pulled or stretched.

How is tensile stress calculated?

Tensile stress is calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the material. The unit of measurement for tensile stress is typically pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m²).

What factors can affect tensile stress in a rod?

The material properties of the rod, such as its elasticity and strength, can greatly impact the amount of tensile stress it can withstand. The dimensions and shape of the rod, as well as the magnitude and direction of the applied force, also play a role in determining the level of tensile stress.

What is the difference between tensile stress and tensile strength?

Tensile stress is a measure of the amount of force per unit area that a material experiences when being pulled or stretched, while tensile strength is the maximum amount of stress that a material can withstand before breaking or fracturing. Tensile strength is typically a higher value than tensile stress.

How does tensile stress affect the behavior of a rod?

Tensile stress can cause a rod to stretch or elongate, depending on its material properties and the magnitude of the applied force. If the tensile stress exceeds the rod's tensile strength, it may result in permanent deformation or failure of the rod. Understanding the tensile stress in a rod is important for predicting its behavior and ensuring its safe and efficient use in various applications.